Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitor Visa Renewal before expiry of current Visa

Hello,

Can you please tell me how long before the expiry of the current Visitor Visa, can we apply for renewal?
    Please also let me know if you see any risks in applying for renewal before current visa expiry.
    Also if someone has experienced this situation before.

Thanks.

You can apply anytime before the expiry but common sense dictates that you should do it close to or after it expires . Because
    if renewal is denied the valid existing visa will be cancelled too. And if it has plenty of time left in it, that will go too.

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply. The question is if we travel 6 months before expiry and assuming the IO at POE gives 6 months stay,
      and a genuine case arises where we need to extend the stay in US, would that require a valid Visa or is it that the extension of stay after arriving in USA is independent of a Visa. Any thoughts on this?

Also I read somewhere if we try to extend long before expiry then application may get stuck in security verification. have you heard of this?

Thanks.

Comment

visa is for admission only. Once you are inside US, the stay granted on your passport matters.
        Not the validity of the visa. The same holds true for extension purposes; it does not matter if it is expired.
        If you can plan ur travel even one day before the expiry of the visa, I suggest you should not apply for renewal. Because chance of a denial is
        always present.

I have not heard of the security thing you mentioned.
        Last edited by peace999; 02-21-2014, 10:43 PM.

Comment

thank you.

Comment

Visitor Visa Renewal before expiry of current Visa

Originally posted by peace999 View Post
            visa is for admission only. Once you are inside US, the stay granted on your passport matters.
            Not the validity of the visa. The same holds true for extension purposes; it does not matter if it is expired.
            If you can plan ur travel even one day before the expiry of the visa, I suggest you should not apply for renewal. Because chance of a denial is
            always present.

I have not heard of the security thing you mentioned.
            Good day all,
            Please i will like to ask, is it possible to renew your visa from a country where you are not a permanent resident. For instance, i will be going to Canada on study permit and my US visa will expire while i'm still there. Is it possible to renew my US visa there or I will have to go back to my home country to do that?

Thank you.
            ND

Comment

Good day all,
              Please i will like to ask, is it possible to renew your visa from a country where you are not a permanent resident. For instance, i will be going to Canada on study permit and my US visa will expire while i'm still there. Is it possible to renew my US visa there or I will have to go back to my home country to do that?

Thank you.
              ND

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X