Reentry on B2 after expiry of H-1B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reentry on B2 after expiry of H-1B

I worked in the U.S. on an H-1B visa. I was terminated from that job, and my visa stamp was also up for renewal soon after. I left the country before the visa expired and have not been in the country for any amount of time on the expired visa.

To my knowledge, the company that I worked for has not yet submitted a letter to USCIS calling for the revocation of my H-1B.

I also have a B2 tourist visa, which I obtained before getting my H-1B, and which is still now valid. I would like to book a round trip journey back into the states for about 25 days for leisure reasons (to see friends, etc.) and would like to use my tourist visa to do so. I would have set dates of arrival to and departure from the States.

My question is, would I be able to use the tourist visa the enter the country, for a fixed amount of time? Does getting a work visa somehow nullify the tourist visa, or is the tourist visa still valid? Would I have to wait until after the company submits a termination letter to USCIS, or am I free to go now?

Also, it may be of note that my tourist visa is in an old, expired passport, but my work visa is in a new, unexpired passport.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Originally posted by bahnyc View Post
    I worked in the U.S. on an H-1B visa. I was terminated from that job, and my visa stamp was also up for renewal soon after. I left the country before the visa expired and have not been in the country for any amount of time on the expired visa.

To my knowledge, the company that I worked for has not yet submitted a letter to USCIS calling for the revocation of my H-1B.

I also have a B2 tourist visa, which I obtained before getting my H-1B, and which is still now valid. I would like to book a round trip journey back into the states for about 25 days for leisure reasons (to see friends, etc.) and would like to use my tourist visa to do so. I would have set dates of arrival to and departure from the States.

My question is, would I be able to use the tourist visa the enter the country, for a fixed amount of time? Does getting a work visa somehow nullify the tourist visa, or is the tourist visa still valid? Would I have to wait until after the company submits a termination letter to USCIS, or am I free to go now?

Also, it may be of note that my tourist visa is in an old, expired passport, but my work visa is in a new, unexpired passport.

Thanks a lot for any help.
    I dont think you should have any issues as long as you adhere to B2 visa guidelines. B2 visa would be still valid, in old or new passport. Do carry both the passport with you.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      I dont think you should have any issues as long as you adhere to B2 visa guidelines. B2 visa would be still valid, in old or new passport. Do carry both the passport with you.

This is my opinion not legal advice.
      Thanks raghvi!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X