Change Status to B-2 Visitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Status to B-2 Visitor

This is something I'm having a difficult time finding an answer to.

Can you change an M-1 or F-1 student visa status to a B-2 visitor visa status? All of the info seems to support the other way around. (the I-539 form info)

For example : If you hold an M-1 or F-1 student visa and are completing a 6 month program, can you apply to change your status to a B-2 once your program ends, so you are able to spend time in the US solely as a tourist, for say, another 6 months?

I would really appreciate assistance, or the proper contact information to help me resolve this.
    Thank you.

FYI- I'm Canadian

yes, technically you can. but chances of approval depend on how you present your case. Go through a good attorney if you can afford one.
    But remember processing takes several months.

If you are a canadian citizen, why don't you go back and return a few weeks later as a tourist without having to obtain any visa?

Comment

The reason why leaving the country and re-entering is less desirable is because of the non-guarantee in crossing the border. When the CBP officer learns you have just been in the country for the last 6 months, regardless of what visa you were on, they see that as potential immigrant threat. I have had issues before with this. When you deal with a change of status from within the country, you don't have the same issues.

Comment

but there is also this issue of a long processing time and no guarantee of an approval.If you go thru a good attorney it will cost you a lot plus the change of status application cost. If you are denied and you get the denial letter when you are no longer on F1, you become out of status immediately. That can cause problems on your next admission too.

I would suggest you delay your tourism plan by a few months and leave US before your F1 status is over. I do not think they will stop you , if you want to visit 6 months later as a tourist.

Comment

So, just to clarify. If your F-1 or M-1 still has lots of time left on it, and you apply to change to a visitor, but are denied. Will your student visa be revoked?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X