Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over from UK on tourist visa and married a US citizen, HELP

Hi there,

I am not sure you can help but hope you can as all I need is some advice!

I came over to the US on the 13th of June to visit my girlfriend on a tourist visa and we decided to marry on the 27th of July!

We are now legally married and am looking at options to become permanent resident.

Currently this is not a cost we can afford as with attorney fee's its just over $4000 to adjust my status and my wife's petition for me.

My tourist visa runs out on the 14th of September and don't want to overstay so my question is can I apply for adjustment of status after my tourist visa has expired as we will have the money to adjust at end of September?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Dominic Mills

yes, you can but there is always a small risk that your green card could be denied due to misrepresentation.
    You entered as a visitor but actually had an intent to marry your girlfriend and change to green card.

Why don't you go home before sept 14 and let your wife file an I-130 for you.
    Then you come back on an immigrant visa ( CR-1)
    obtained at US embassy at home. It will take a few months but it is the correct approach.

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by peace999 View Post
      yes, you can but there is always a small risk that your green card could be denied due to misrepresentation.
      You entered as a visitor but actually had an intent to marry your girlfriend and change to green card.

Why don't you go home before sept 14 and let your wife file an I-130 for you.
      Then you come back on an immigrant visa ( CR-1)
      obtained at US embassy at home. It will take a few months but it is the correct approach.

Thanks you for your response and yes they may think I misrepresented though we had no intent to marry it was just one of those things we decided when I was here!
      We are trying to get money together before the 14th to file for adjustment so will see how this goes.

Thanks,
      Dom

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X