Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extend Visitor Visa or Apply for GC

Hi,

My Parents 10yr visitor visa expires May 2015. I'm a US citizen since 2013. We intend to get my mom here to US by January (2015) and see if we can extend or apply a GC for her for her future stay/visits to US. She needs to travel back to India by March 2015 for this trip in January.

If applying for an extension for visitor visa, how long would it take and would there be any problems if the application is for her alone (as my father passed away)?

If applying for a GC, can she travel back to India in March 2015? If yes, what documents/applications are needed? Also, she does not have a Birth certificate and the only document she currently have as a DOB proof is her 10th class memo. Would there be a delay due to this missing document? Does she need a supporting municipal certificate from Hyderabad(where she lives currently) or from Chennai (Actual place of birth) for DOB?

Considering the above, Is it safe for her to extend her visitor Visa or to apply for a GC and to travel back to India by March 2015.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!

Why are you thinking about an extension or GC conversion, if she must travel back in March? Once one leaves US, an extension application becomes meaningless
    and GC conversion will become complicated.

If you are planning for her GC why does she not go through the immigrant visa route, instead of converting it from visitor, which is risky.
    Let her visit in Jan and leave in March as a visitor. Then you can file her I-130 and she can get her immigrant visa 7-8 months later in Hyderabad.
    She will have to get police clearance and go through medicals in India . And she will have to get an original municipal BC from Chennai . And if there is no record with them, she will have to get a letter of " no-record of birth" from Chennai municipality and submit it along with her class X certificate .

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X