Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engaged

Hello there?

I just have a question about my situation.

I'm going to america in a tourist visa soon to visit families and friends there but then my american boyfriend came to visit me here in the Philippines and proposed.

Since he lives pretty close to my family in the states, we will be seeing each other very often, there is a chance that we will get married there but I will be on a tourist visa. Is it possible to change my tourist visa to fiance' visa while I am still there? Do I have to come back to the Philippines to process the fiance' visa?

or

Just get married on a tourist visa then after months file for permanent residency?

I'm confused about what process to take? I just don't wanna get in trouble.

Hope that you will be able to help me. Thank you.

You can proceed in any one of three different ways:

1. Marry and then convert your status to Permanent Resident by submitting I-130 and I-485 (with supporting documents) at same time while remaining in the U.S.

2. Don't marry, return to your country, and your fiancee can petition you as a fiancee.

3. Or marry before leaving U.S., then your new husband can petition you as a spouse, which will take longer than for a fiancee visa.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Cherry16152 View Post
    Hello there?

I just have a question about my situation.

I'm going to america in a tourist visa soon to visit families and friends there but then my american boyfriend came to visit me here in the Philippines and proposed.

Since he lives pretty close to my family in the states, we will be seeing each other very often, there is a chance that we will get married there but I will be on a tourist visa. Is it possible to change my tourist visa to fiance' visa while I am still there? Do I have to come back to the Philippines to process the fiance' visa?

or

Just get married on a tourist visa then after months file for permanent residency?

I'm confused about what process to take? I just don't wanna get in trouble.

Hope that you will be able to help me. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      You can proceed in any one of three different ways:

1. Marry and then convert your status to Permanent Resident by submitting I-130 and I-485 (with supporting documents) at same time while remaining in the U.S.

2. Don't marry, return to your country, and your fiancee can petition you as a fiancee.

3. Or marry before leaving U.S., then your new husband can petition you as a spouse, which will take longer than for a fiancee visa.

--Ray B
      Thank you! That definitely took away some worries. If we continue on that path while I'm there in the states, we might take the first option. But been hesitant before because of things appeared on the net about "FRAUD" issues. We've been in a relationship almost a year and our families and friends are very involved in it. I definitely don't want our relationship to be seen that way.

So what are the pro's and con's of the first option? Just for me to be prepared.

Also I heard that for tourist visa getting approved depends on the mood of the interviewer. How true?

Do I have a better chance of getting approved because I will be sponsored by family?

Last thing, since my boyfriend proposed to me, we are planning to have an engagement party here in the Philippines before heading to the states. Is that okay? or will it affect any immigration process. Thank you soooo much! Looking forward to hear from you

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X