Sponsored visa and visitor's visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsored visa and visitor's visa

Background : I have been in the US for 6 months on L1B and my wife joined me here with my daughter a month ago. Now my In-laws are planning to visit us for few months.
    I'm not really sure if I can sponsor visa because of various reasons.

1. Is there a difference between sponsored visa and visitor's visa?
    2. Can my In-laws apply directly for visitors visa, showing their financial standings in India and also telling they are going to take care of their expenses when they are in the US?
    3. Do I still have to show my financial ability (salary details, bank statements) to take care of them, if they apply for visitors visa?

Please provide any other suggestions.

Appreciate your quick response. Thanks

1) There is nothing called "sponsored visa."
    2) Yes, they can apply directly for a visitor's visa (B2), and yes, they can show self-funding (in fact this is a plus in their favour if they are financially able to support themselves and can demonstrate it).
    3) If they are going to pay for their trip, best that you stay out of it. If they are going to stay with you, then you could provide a letter addressed to the consulate stating that. Make sure they know all your details (your visa status, where you work, your company, city or town, and so on).

Comment

Originally posted by pb2au View Post
      1) There is nothing called "sponsored visa."
      2) Yes, they can apply directly for a visitor's visa (B2), and yes, they can show self-funding (in fact this is a plus in their favour if they are financially able to support themselves and can demonstrate it).
      3) If they are going to pay for their trip, best that you stay out of it. If they are going to stay with you, then you could provide a letter addressed to the consulate stating that. Make sure they know all your details (your visa status, where you work, your company, city or town, and so on).
      Thanks indeed for your quick response.

Now that I understand, there is nothing called sponsored visa, I know that I do not have to show my financial standing to the consulate, if my in laws are self funding their trip, I have the below questions.

1. Can they show their bank balance in India in INR for their self funding of the trip?
      2. Also, is there a specific amount/amount range that they have to show to satisfy their trip funding??
      3. Is there anything that needs to be considered at all (in terms of financial standing/bank balance) - Please suggest.

Much obliged.

Ramesh

Comment

Originally posted by Yaaniramesh View Post
        Thanks indeed for your quick response.

Now that I understand, there is nothing called sponsored visa, I know that I do not have to show my financial standing to the consulate, if my in laws are self funding their trip, I have the below questions.

1. Can they show their bank balance in India in INR for their self funding of the trip?
        2. Also, is there a specific amount/amount range that they have to show to satisfy their trip funding??
        3. Is there anything that needs to be considered at all (in terms of financial standing/bank balance) - Please suggest.

Much obliged.

Ramesh
        1. Yes, if they live and earn in India, everything should be in INR.
        2. There is no specific amount. However, larger the amount the better it is as it tells the consulate that you are well-off and will be back after a short stay. Typically, for salaried people the consensus is that 24 lakhs INR annual salary is a good starting point. But note that this is only a guideline and will not guarantee approval. (I have just cited a number - don't take it as a hard figure.)
        3. They need to demonstrate they have a stable job or a business that brings in good income. It is as simple as that. The basic idea is this: the consulate has to figure out if the person applying has an incentive to return after a short stay in the U.S. So one's financial background is one factor that helps establish that. Then there are other factors such the general family situation and other ties that bind you to the home country. It is the overall picture that is taken into account. Every case is different but the general principle is the same.
        Last edited by pb2au; 04-25-2015, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pb2au View Post
          1. Yes, if they live and earn in India, everything should be in INR.
          2. There is no specific amount. However, larger the amount the better it is as it tells the consulate that you are well-off and will be back after a short stay. Typically, for salaried people the consensus is that 24 lakhs INR annual salary is a good starting point. But note that this is only a guideline and will not guarantee approval. (I have just cited a number - don't take it as a hard figure.)
          3. They need to demonstrate they have a stable job or a business that brings in good income. It is as simple as that. The basic idea is this: the consulate has to figure out if the person applying has an incentive to return after a short stay in the U.S. So one's financial background is one factor that helps establish that. Then there are other factors such the general family situation and other ties that bind you to the home country. It is the overall picture that is taken into account. Every case is different but the general principle is the same.
          Thanks again - and below is the last and quick question before we go ahead and fill DS160

1. My father in-law is now retired and was working as a state government official - he doesn't have any income/pension but has assets/properties and some bank balance that he is going to use for trip expenses - Do you think this is going to be a concern at all?

any suggestion on bank balance requirements for retired people? Thanks

Regards,
          Ramesh

Comment

He can show his savings, and if they are substantial he should be good. It is hard to give a number. The consular officer looks at the total picture. There are instances of people getting a visa with modest funds in their bank account, so it isn't a black & white situation. The consulate usually doesn't care for property documents (they know people forge them).

Your focus should be on preparing them for the interview. There are many interview accounts on this site of the type of questions asked of retired people. Go through them, make a pool of possible questions and your answers, and have them do mock drills.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X