Hospital Medical Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital Medical Bill

My mother went to Emergency room for her sickness and after some test and prescription they discharged her on same day. My mother is on Visitor visa and have fixed insurance from insubuy. Hospital sent bill directly to insurance company and I know that insurance will not pay much. Medical Bill is on my mother's name and which is more than $7000.
    I am unable to pay this amount. What if i cant pay will it impact on my visa status. Also if my parents come next, will they suffer any difficulties on immigiration/airport.
    Please help me what shall i do.

When you already knew that fixed coverage plans don't pay much, why did you choose to buy such plan? Why did you not consider buying comprehensive coverage?
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

I came to Know through Forums that there are two types of plan after my mother's hospitalized. Otherwise i could do that. Is this something i can do now.

Comment

It is too late now.

Please work with the hospital to give you the facility to pay in installments.
        Thanks & Regards
        Insubuy
        Toll Free: (866) INSUBUY
        Local: (972) 985-4400
        Fax: (972) 767-4470

Comment

These are the kinds of irresponsible people who make things difficult for the rest. You knew you couldn't afford a hefty medical bill yet you went ahead and saved pennies by not purchasing comprehensive insurance. Guess who eventually pays for all this?

Comment

Visitor2015,

Your situation will get you lots of responses and advice, because this is serious issue with which we can all relate.

The first question I would ask is: "When taking your mom to the hospital, did you sign any documents as a "responsible" relative/sponsor?" If so, you agreed to take on the resulting liability remaining after any insurance reimbursement.

If you did not sign any documents agreeing to be responsible, then it is your mother's debt and no amount of coercion by the hospital or third-party bill collectors can force you to pay, despite any threats they make.

But if you had her admitted on your signature, you now have a financial obligation. This will become a credit issue, however, and not an immigration issue, and should have no effect on you own immigration status or future procedures.

I've been in exactly the same situation as you describe, but was already predisposed to avoid personal liability.

--Ray B

Originally posted by visitor2015 View Post
            My mother went to Emergency room for her sickness and after some test and prescription they discharged her on same day. My mother is on Visitor visa and have fixed insurance from insubuy. Hospital sent bill directly to insurance company and I know that insurance will not pay much. Medical Bill is on my mother's name and which is more than $7000.
            I am unable to pay this amount. What if i cant pay will it impact on my visa status. Also if my parents come next, will they suffer any difficulties on immigiration/airport.
            Please help me what shall i do.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X