Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourist B2 to F1 Best Course of Action

Hi Guys,

I applied for my B2 in November and came to the US to visit schools in December. I went back home in January. I recently got married and came to the US again in May '15 with my husband who is on his H1. I have an admit from a school and I want to apply for F1. Can I apply for F1 and COS from the US or should I go back home and apply for my F1 from there?
    I want to avoid the hassle of a trip back home if possible. I am confused by the timeline I should follow. How long does the change of status take? I don't want it to come across as misstatement of my intent.

HELP GUYS.
    Thanks a lot!

You can do COS within the country, but you should get close guidance from your school's international student department.

When you came in December to visit schools, I presume you told the CBP officer that you seek admission to the United States to look at schools.

I am curious, what did you tell him when you came in May?

You will have to explain any discrepancies in your COS application.

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      You can do COS within the country, but you should get close guidance from your school's international student department.

When you came in December to visit schools, I presume you told the CBP officer that you seek admission to the United States to look at schools.

I am curious, what did you tell him when you came in May?

You will have to explain any discrepancies in your COS application.
      When I came in May, he didn't ask me the purpose of my visit. How long does COS take generally? From all the information I've gathered I am only disheartened and am contemplating just getting from my home country.
      Do let me know.
      Thanks!

Comment

B-2 to F-2 COS takes 2 to 4 months, typically 3 months. It is difficult to predict the adjudication timeline with any certainty. On the other hand, scheduling a F-1 visa application interview at a consulate abroad gives you a definitive timeline. Because timing is critical in being able to enroll and attend classes for a particular semester, most aliens are better served applying for an F-1 visa abroad.

B-2 to F-2 COS is not just a form, it involves a written narrative. Your request will have to address issues that can sometimes be awkward, such as:

* What did you tell the consular officer was the purpose of your visit to the U.S.?
        * Upon entry to the U.S., what did you tell the immigration officer was the purpose of your visit?
        * How and when did you arrive at your decision to study in the U.S.?
        * How and when did you first contact the University, and when were you informed you had been admitted?
        * If prior to your entry into the U.S. your intention was to attend school, why didn't you apply for an F-1 student visa rather than the B-2 visitor visa?
        * Have you been in the U.S. before? When and for what purpose?
        * Any relatives in the U.S.? If so, what types of visas are they here on?

Many aliens would prefer to apply for the F-1 abroad rather than answer these questions in writing, under penalty of perjury.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X