Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitor Visa for future dates

Hi,

I am planning to bring my parents to USA on visitor visa. They are planning to travel sometime in November 2015. I would like to know if I can get their visas processed early e.g. in September but have their 6-months clock start from November ? Or Does the validity of visitor visa start from the date of issuance ?

Thank you.

Visa stamp vs duration of stay

You should be able to go ahead and get the visas ahead of time. The visa only allows for entry into the US. If you have a visa stamp for 6 months, that allows you to enter into the U.S. any time during that 6 month period. Once you arrive at the port of entry, the immigration officer determines the length of the stay and puts that date on your I-94 form. So as an example, if you entered the U.S. 3 days before the 6 month visa stamp would expire, the immigration officer could grant a 6 month stay. The visa dates and dates of stay are not the same.

This is my opinion and not legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinity71 View Post
      You should be able to go ahead and get the visas ahead of time. The visa only allows for entry into the US. If you have a visa stamp for 6 months, that allows you to enter into the U.S. any time during that 6 month period. Once you arrive at the port of entry, the immigration officer determines the length of the stay and puts that date on your I-94 form. So as an example, if you entered the U.S. 3 days before the 6 month visa stamp would expire, the immigration officer could grant a 6 month stay. The visa dates and dates of stay are not the same.

This is my opinion and not legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.
      ----------------------------------------------

Trinity71, Thank you for the information.

Comment

6 months is the maximum allowable time that they can spend in the US. Their duration of stay will be determined at port of entry when they arrive. Visa only allows them to travel to US, so technically they can travel as late as date of expiry of the Visa.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X