Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2 visa dates

Hi
    Quick question to check up on something relating to how these tourist visas work.
    I arrived in the US on 30/9 and had my passport stamped with a return date of 30/3/2016. I am scheduled to leave before that date anyway. I recently took a short trip to Mexico and on my return was stopped at the border as I crossed back by land.
    My visa allows multiple entries so no issues there. Was fingerprinted again etc the guy questioning me had something pop up on his screen and after a bit of a debate between 2 officers I was given a white I94 form.

It was only after I left the office that I noted that there was a new date printed on the form. It now says a date if 7/5/2016. Does this date supersede the one stamped into my passport of when I have to leave the country? If it is now ok to stay until May I may just extend my stay if allowed to. I have made no extension applications to my original 6 month request and do not intend to. If I stay until May I will have gone over the normal 6 month maximum stay allowed.

Is it too risky to extend my visit here or can I legitimately stay without penalty for going so.
    Hope you can help.

It will be safer if you leave by original I-94 date.
    This is not a legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply jnk,
      The question I posed wasn't if it was safer to leave but all things being equal is it possible for a visitor to extend the time they stay in the USA based upon the renewed date of an I94.
      I take your prudent approach on board not to mess about with the authorities when it comes to length of stays. If anyone else has a point of view (if you agree with jnk or not) it would be appreciated so I can come to a general consensus.
      Many thanks.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X