Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mom's B2 visa rejected at Mumbai Consulate. How and when should we re-apply?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom's B2 visa rejected at Mumbai Consulate. How and when should we re-apply?

Hi all,

I wanted to get your suggestions before re-applying for a B2 visa for my mom. Her application got rejected on Nov 30th, 2015. Here is our situation -

We're four family members - I am a US permanent resident, my wife is a US citizen and my sister is here as a student (F1 visa). My mother lives in Mumbai on her own.

This year, I wanted to sponsor my mom to visit us and the visa simply got rejected (214 b denial). Here is what our case is like -

1) My mom had applied twice in 2009 and was denied the visa both times (her brother is a US citizen and was sponsoring it then)
    2) She has never applied for a US visa or traveled to other countries ever, is a widow, is a house wife and has the Mumbai apartment and other assets in her name. Paternal side of our family is based in Mumbai, but she lives independently in her own apartment.
    3) I sponsored the visa this year (2015) and sent out all relevant supporting documents and we have enough finances to take care of the expenses. The purpose of this visit is just meeting us and having a small holiday together.
    4) The visa was denied the basis 214 b rule again, which means she doesn't have strong ties with her home country and is being looked at as a potential immigrant.

The questions asked by VO were -
    - What do you do in Mumbai?
    - Where are your kids in the US and what do they do there?
    - Where is your husband?
    - Have you ever traveled to other countries before?

She answered all questions accurately. They just handed over the rejection letter to her after this.

Now my questions are -

1) Her situation cannot really change, expect for the fact that she can travel to other places to build some travel history. Will this make her case stronger for the next time we re-apply?
    2) I know we can re-apply immediately too, using the same documents I've sent just last month. Is it advisable to apply in such quick successions? Or should we wait for a few months? Do a lot of rejections have a negative impact on your profile each time you apply?
    3) Is there anything else we can do to make her case stronger in any way?

Has anyone here had similar experiences while applying for their parents? Did anyone manage to get them a visa after multiple rejections?

Any suggestions, recommendations or advise would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mom's B2 visa rejected at Mumbai Consulate. How and when should we re-apply?

Her visa will more than likely never be approved. Her children are here in the U.S., she is a widow, and she has other family members here as well. Property and similar things can be considered somewhat strong ties but those things can be handled, sold etc. without her being present to do so and of course are never going to be considered more important than family.

You could always apply for a family based greencard for her. Here is a link that will give you some useful information that I found regarding family based greencards. https://www.immihelp.com/family-based-greencard/

Good Luck!

This is my opinion and not legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinity71 View Post
      Her visa will more than likely never be approved. Her children are here in the U.S., she is a widow, and she has other family members here as well. Property and similar things can be considered somewhat strong ties but those things can be handled, sold etc. without her being present to do so and of course are never going to be considered more important than family.

You could always apply for a family based greencard for her. Here is a link that will give you some useful information that I found regarding family based greencards. https://www.immihelp.com/family-based-greencard/

Good Luck!

This is my opinion and not legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Thank you, though our comment is disheartening :-/ I know about the lottery system, but I'd much rather wait until in a citizen and then apply for her legally. I think that would be a more certain way of doing it, but in the mean time, we'd still like her to visit the US. I'll wait to see comments from others on this forum.

Thanks again!

Comment

Well, it is very hard for a widow to get US visa, I would even say it is next to impossible. Same happened to my mother too so I know how hard it is to take the visa denial. Your best best is to sponsor her a GC one you get US citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by rcmax View Post
          Well, it is very hard for a widow to get US visa, I would even say it is next to impossible. Same happened to my mother too so I know how hard it is to take the visa denial. Your best best is to sponsor her a GC one you get US citizenship.
          Thank you!

I know that is the final option - me sponsoring her GC when I'm a citizen. We just wanted her to see the country before even thinking of moving here permanently. But I guess this is how the system works, so we'll just wait and may be re-apply for a B2 to see if we have any luck.

Comment

well, the VO saw that she had more strong ties in the US than in India.

Just go for the green card option.

Comment

Finally, approved after 3 attempts!!

Originally posted by Agulus View Post
              well, the VO saw that she had more strong ties in the US than in India.

Just go for the green card option.
              Hi all -

I just wanted to respond to this thread to let you know that mom finally got a B2 visa approval and is here finally

We applied in Nov 2015 first, which is when I started this thread and it got rejected.

We applied again in July 2016 and it got rejected. This time though, the reason for her to visit the US was that my sister is graduating here in September. She simply wanted to attend the graduation ceremony. Since the last time they rejected it, I did not take the effort to sponsor her or send any documents. She sponsored her trip herself. Her interview happened on July 28th and they rejected it once again!

Some people just suggested that I should re-apply immediately and try getting another appointment asap. I did this, same documents, same application form filled once again and paid the $160 fee again. Scheduled an interview for August 3rd and this time the interview lasted for a whole 35 mins. At the end, they granted her the visa - 10 years multiple entry!!!!

So it took us three attempts and a whole lot of frustration to make it work. Not sure how they were convinced now of "stronger ties" if the application was exactly the same each time? Seems like there isn't really a rationale behind the entire process. Nevertheless, happy it worked for us!

Comment

Congratulations ! but this is crazy !

Comment

Originally posted by sharma.amit612 View Post
                  . Since the last time they rejected it, I did not take the effort to sponsor her or send any documents.
                  As you noted, there is no such thing as sponsoring a tourist visa. An applicant applies on their own merit and is adjudicated for a visa accordingly, without a stack of documents from a US-based individual.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X