Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Staying in Shengen Zone for 90 days after residency card expires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying in Shengen Zone for 90 days after residency card expires?

Hello everyone,

I'm sure this question has been brought up before, so I apologize if it is a re-post, but my situation is a bit different and I am really attempting to find a final answer regarding this as it is an urgent issue.

I was granted a long-stay visa (4 month student visa) to Portugal which expired on December 18, 2014. I then applied and received a temporary 1-year residency card which is valid from February 2, 2015 - February 2, 2016.

I am from the USA and now that this card is expiring, I am wondering how this affects my potential 90-day visa-free tourist stay within a 180 day period. From what I've researched, I can stay in the Shengen Zone for another 3 months after my residency card expires? However,

1) Do I need to leave the Shengen Zone as my card expires in order to have officially left and re-entered the zone to start up the 90-day tourist stay?

2) If yes, do I need a return ticket back to the United states within the 90 days to prove that I will be leaving? Or is just leaving within the 90 days fine, as they will check it on my way out?

3) Finally, probably most important, does the time that I was waiting for my residency card to be processed (December 19 - Feb 1) count under the 90-day usage?

Any information from you great people would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

Best regards,
    Joseph Passanisi

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X