Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting B Visa after 10 year ban

Hi,

Not sure if I am posting this in the correct forum so apologies if I am not. I moved to USA in 2002 and entered under the visa waiver program. I overstayed the visa by 4 years. In 2005 I fell pregnant and my son was born in March 2006. After a few months I realized that I couldn't stay in the country as an illegal with a baby. Later that year I left for Ireland with my 9 month old son. I was never in any trouble while I was there and my departure was completely voluntary. I remember being nervous that I would be stopped at the airport but nothing happened. I just got on the plane and nobody from the airlines or immigration stopped me and asked a thing.
    I was told before I left that I would be subject to a 10 year ban. That ban will be up later on this year. I have been researching what I need to do but all of the threads that I find have something different about their cases and I can't seem to find anyone that has been in the same circumstances as me. Most threads I come across relate to deportations or cases where there is a spouse involved. Since coming back to Ireland I have made my home here so don't have any intention to go back and live there. I would just like to visit my old friends and the family that I have out there.
    Can anyone tell me what I need to do? From what I have read I think I just need to apply for a B visa. Is this correct?

Any advice anyone could offer me would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks!

Originally posted by trihar33 View Post
    Hi,

Not sure if I am posting this in the correct forum so apologies if I am not. I moved to USA in 2002 and entered under the visa waiver program. I overstayed the visa by 4 years. In 2005 I fell pregnant and my son was born in March 2006. After a few months I realized that I couldn't stay in the country as an illegal with a baby. Later that year I left for Ireland with my 9 month old son. I was never in any trouble while I was there and my departure was completely voluntary. I remember being nervous that I would be stopped at the airport but nothing happened. I just got on the plane and nobody from the airlines or immigration stopped me and asked a thing.
    I was told before I left that I would be subject to a 10 year ban. That ban will be up later on this year. I have been researching what I need to do but all of the threads that I find have something different about their cases and I can't seem to find anyone that has been in the same circumstances as me. Most threads I come across relate to deportations or cases where there is a spouse involved. Since coming back to Ireland I have made my home here so don't have any intention to go back and live there. I would just like to visit my old friends and the family that I have out there.
    Can anyone tell me what I need to do? From what I have read I think I just need to apply for a B visa. Is this correct?

Any advice anyone could offer me would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks!
    Since you illegally over stayed (long period) in USA before, you'll be questioned a lot for your visa & high chances for you to be rejected / deported.

Apologies if this is personal question, but your husband's status may help you getting a visa.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Yes, you apply for a B visa if you wish to visit friend and family Stateside.

However, trying for a visa right at the end of your 10-yr ban, may.. may.. come across as desperate to the interviewing officer. You may apply anytime you wish, but be prepared to answer questions about your overstay; and be handy with plenty to ties to home to have a chance. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you both your replies. I did not marry my son's father but he is a US Citizen. I have raised my son alone with little to no contact from the father. I would not like to involve him in this at all. I haven't heard from him in years and would be happy to keep it that way.
        I was thinking it might come across as desperate too so thanks for that. I might wait a while. I do believe I can prove strong ties to Ireland. I went back to college here and have a great job now, I live near to my sisters and Dad, my son is 10 and is in school here etc.
        While I loved the living in the US, I could never go back to be being undocumented again. I was 18 when I went over and I am 32 now. Its not a risk I would take at this stage in my life. But as I said in my last post, I do miss a lot of my fiends and faily from over there.

Do you have any knowledge of the interview process? What documents would I need to prove my ties to Ireland?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by trihar33 View Post
          Thank you both your replies. I did not marry my son's father but he is a US Citizen. I have raised my son alone with little to no contact from the father. I would not like to involve him in this at all. I haven't heard from him in years and would be happy to keep it that way.
          I was thinking it might come across as desperate too so thanks for that. I might wait a while. I do believe I can prove strong ties to Ireland. I went back to college here and have a great job now, I live near to my sisters and Dad, my son is 10 and is in school here etc.
          While I loved the living in the US, I could never go back to be being undocumented again. I was 18 when I went over and I am 32 now. Its not a risk I would take at this stage in my life. But as I said in my last post, I do miss a lot of my fiends and faily from over there.

Do you have any knowledge of the interview process? What documents would I need to prove my ties to Ireland?

Thanks again.
          Here you go :
          USA Tourist Visa - Comprehensive information about the documents needed for applying for a visitor visa. Ask questions about the visitor visa in the discussion forum and track your visitor visa application process in the visa tracker.
          - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Originally posted by Libra_14 View Post
            Good day

I am currently in exactly the same position with as you. also had a child 10 years ago with US Citizen, voluntarily left the country when my daughter was 9 months old and would now like to go visit my daughters grandmother in the US.

Were your VISA approved?

Kind regards

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X