Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help and guidance for the US visa

Try and follow all of the following things:
    1. Fill the DS 160 form with great care because at the Visa interview things are unknowingly verified. The information should be absolutely true and no fudging because then you can answer their questions right. Take a print out of the details filled in the form for your own information. The DS 160 form is the basic step in the visa process. Mention all the details asked for. If you make a mistake while filling the form and realize is later, don't fret. It is not the end of the world. You can fill in a new DS form and carry both forms with you for the biometrics appointment. Be sure to tell them about there being two DS forms. They will ask you only for the new form and ensure that the sticker that they put on the passport is matching with the new form. No one asks for the old passports, don't give them but do carry them and produce them when asked for. No need for visa photos at all but just to on the safe side carry a couple of fresh ones. They take photos there itself.
    2. Pay the visa fees by whatever method you find convenient but on-line NEFT is very safe and convenient. After making payment the receipt will take some time to generate. Don't panic. You will get a mail stating the same. After that you may schedule your appointments as the reference no get auto filled. I had taken biometric appointment one day prior to the actual interview. The biometric centre for Mumbai is at the Trade Centre which is very close to the consulate. There it hardly takes 10-15 minutes and the process is very quick, well co-ordinated and extremely systematic. The consulate is located on Hotel Trident road just on the other side of the Trade Centre. There is a queue just outside the consulate even if you have an appointment. But again the process is very systematic and fairly streamlined and quick. There are a number of queues. Outside the complex, outside the building, in the waiting area and finally in the interview section. But things are real cool. Don't carry anything other than the relevant papers.
    3. The actual interview was as follows:
    We went as a family of four. My wife, daughter, mother and myself.
    Counsellar: What is the purpose of the visit?
    Me: Family wedding.
    Counsellar: Where are you going to stay?
    Me: With the people in whose house the wedding is, told him the place.
    Counsellar: What other places have you visited before?
    Me: Told him a few.
    Counsellar: Who accompanied you for these trips?
    Me: Wife and daughter too on the last two.
    Counsellar: ( to daughter)on which trips did you accompany your parents?
    Daughter: She answered.
    Counsellar: ( to daughter) what are you doing?
    Daughter: Doing post graduation in .......
    Counsellar: Which year?
    Daughter: First year going to second year soon.
    Counsellar to me: What is your profession?
    Me: told him.
    Counsellar: Since how long?
    Me: told him.
    Counsellar to wife: What do you do?
    Wife: told him.
    C: Since how long?
    Wife: told him.
    Counsellar to mother: When did you last go to the US?
    Mother: she told him.
    C to me: Do you all stay together?
    Me: Yes but daughter stays in Mumbai where she is studying.
    C to me: How long do you intend to stay?
    Me: All of us one month, mother may stay back for more time with my brother and sister.
    C: Your visa is granted, please collect the passport in 3 days.
    All this mind you that my mother was a green card holder and this had expired last year itself and she had been there only once on this but no questions about this in the interview. All questions asked were related to the DS 160 form. All facts were mentioned there and were confirmed.
    Answer all questions without hestiation, truthfully. Remain composed and calm. If you don't hear, request for the question to be repeated. Wear pastel shades formal clothes and a simple tie preferably.
    The visa interview is not tough if you answer truthfully. For us it was breeze. It went off without a hitch.

Originally posted by ashray70 View Post
    All this mind you that my mother was a green card holder and this had expired last year itself and she had been there only once on this but no questions about this in the interview.
    Since your mother was an immigrant & she could again go for the GC, but instead she said she just want to attend a wedding & come back. This was a PLUS for your MOM.

You & your family also went to various other countries & came back. This was a PLUS for you.

Congratulations !!
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Libra_14 View Post
      Since your mother was an immigrant & she could again go for the GC, but instead she said she just want to attend a wedding & come back. This was a PLUS for your MOM.

You & your family also went to various other countries & came back. This was a PLUS for you.

Congratulations !!
      Yes true. Probably that helped a lot but the Counsellar didn't ask her a single question about the GC. It in all it was a cool experience and not so scary. Like you had said, Be calm, answer truthfully and take a deep breath.

Comment

Originally posted by ashray70 View Post
        Yes true. Probably that helped a lot but the Counsellar didn't ask her a single question about the GC. It in all it was a cool experience and not so scary. Like you had said, Be calm, answer truthfully and take a deep breath.
        They have very well maintained systems to tell the VO about your history.

When you reaches the interview window, the VO can see everything about you on his computer screen, so he might not be interested in knowing that.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X