No announcement yet.

B2 visa - likelihood of being approved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2 visa - likelihood of being approved?

We are from the UK. I have been looking into getting a B2 visa and on some sites I have read that they don't approve these for people under retirement age (to go travelling around America). We would have strong ties to the UK which is something they need (own 6 houses, would have enough income to cover us when we were over there plus savings, both sets of parents here, my sister is here, daughter in school here though obviously we would take her out to go travelling).

I just wondered if anyone had any experience of this? On one hand I could pay the fees and have an interview ($190 x 3) and hope we get approved but if there isn't much chance, then I would jeopardise my chances of getting in under the VWP at a later date.

The reason we want a B2 visa is that it doesn't make financial sense for us to only do 3 months touring under the VWP, we would like to spend at least 6 months there.

Thank you!

B2 is risky as an alternate to VWP. Additionally, a B2 denial for any reason leads to a loss of VWP privileges for a period of time, say 1-2 years.

Put yourself in the CO's shoes and ask yourself "..if not retired, what do you hope to accomplish in 180 days that you can't in the 90 days allowed under VWP..?" If you believe you have a viable answer, and evidence of strong ties to home, then try for the B2.

Comment

Originally posted by thesmiths88 View Post
      , we would like to spend at least 6 months there.
      You're allowed a maximum of 180 days on a B2.

Comment

This is not a big deal. Lots of people spend more than six months in the USA. Apply and you'll likely be fine, just explain why you are there and highlight your ties to your home country.

If you plan on staying more than six months then you should ask the CBP officer at the port of entry for a longer entry stamp. They can give you much longer than six months if you ask nicely.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X