X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent! Please Help!

Hi,
    My name is Skylar.

I am a student that is going to Rome in Spring 2017 and will stay there for 84 days.
    I want to visit Switzerland, Germany and maybe Czech Republic after the program in Rome is over. I plan to be on this trip for 3 more months. That is a total of 6 months in the Schengen area. However, my professor told me I can only stay in Europe for 90 days with my citizenship. The Schengen visa only allows me to stay for 90 days, but I want to visit for a longer time.

I know my citizenship allows me enter Schengen area without a visa for 90 days. But should I apply for the visa if I want to stay longer or will the visa just overlaps with citizenship privilege I already have?
    If I apply for a visa to stay longer, is it going to be a tourist visa? Do I have to apply to extended the length of stay?
    Since I am going to Rome when I first enter the Schengen area, many tells me they are the ones to apply the visa, but is that true? Can I apply the visa with the German embassy or the France consulate? I also heard that I can simply try to get enroll in a class in the university in Germany and get a student visa while not really going to school, is that even possible?

What can I do to help me stay longer in Europe?

This is extremely urgent because i have to book my flight and the schedule needs to be set before I book it!!

Thank you!

Originally posted by Skylar Yin View Post
    Hi,
    My name is Skylar.

I am a student that is going to Rome in Spring 2017 and will stay there for 84 days.
    I want to visit Switzerland, Germany and maybe Czech Republic after the program in Rome is over. I plan to be on this trip for 3 more months. That is a total of 6 months in the Schengen area. However, my professor told me I can only stay in Europe for 90 days with my citizenship. The Schengen visa only allows me to stay for 90 days, but I want to visit for a longer time.

I know my citizenship allows me enter Schengen area without a visa for 90 days. But should I apply for the visa if I want to stay longer or will the visa just overlaps with citizenship privilege I already have?
    If I apply for a visa to stay longer, is it going to be a tourist visa? Do I have to apply to extended the length of stay?
    Since I am going to Rome when I first enter the Schengen area, many tells me they are the ones to apply the visa, but is that true? Can I apply the visa with the German embassy or the France consulate? I also heard that I can simply try to get enroll in a class in the university in Germany and get a student visa while not really going to school, is that even possible?

What can I do to help me stay longer in Europe?

This is extremely urgent because i have to book my flight and the schedule needs to be set before I book it!!

Thank you!

"The Schengen visa only allows me to stay for 90 days"- This is incorrect.

U.S. citizens can travel to the Schengen countries for trips of 90 days or less without the requirement of obtaining a Schengen visa. If a U.S. citizen is going to be staying longer than 90 days, they would apply for a Schengen visa to cover their entire trip, not just the days that exceed the 90 days. So if you are staying for 6 months, you need the Schengen visa for your entire 6 month stay.

You would apply at the consulate of the first country you are entering so in this case the Italian consulate. The only time you would apply at another consulate would be of the majority of your stay for example were to be in France. If I were coming into Rome for a week and then France 3 months and then Germany for a month, I would apply at the French consulate.

I have no idea where you would hear about enrolling in a class at a university there or what purpose that would serve, so I have no idea how to answer that.

This is my opinion and not legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Trinity71

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X