Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1/B2 visa for family while undergoing Adjustment of Status [US]

Hello,

I'm graduating from graduate school in April 2017. I just picked up a letter of invitation from our school's international office to send to my family so they can show my expected date of graduation and apply for a B1/B2 visa. My parents applied for B1/B2 5 years ago to come to the US to attend my graduation ceremony from college. They were approved, came and attended the ceremony, and went back home. They only made that one trip during the 5 years their B1/B2 was valid.
    I also recently got married to a US citizen and we're in the process of applying for adjustment of status. The last time my family applied for the visitor's visa, there was a clear cause, I was still an in-status F-1 student, so everything went smoothly.

However, this time their interview date is set for end of January, and we are submitting my AoS paperwork next week. Will this affect their chances of getting approved for the visitor visa? Is this still the best way for them to apply for a visitor visa? Or since I am in a limbo during the AoS process at least until I receive my green card, will the case not be as complicated as I'm thinking it will, and should they still go ahead and start their visa process like they did 5 years ago? Based on my understanding so far, an F-1 students's SEVIS is cancelled once the USCIS receives their AoS paperwork. Should I be providing some additional paper work (employment support, assets and savings, etc. that a permanent resident would provide when inviting someone to visit them) to be safe since the limbo status is not F-1 any more? Will my application to adjust status be a red flag or affect their chances of being approved for the visitor visa?

This just crossed my mind today. Thank you for any input you can provide.

P.S. Also, even if my parents filed separate visa petitions, they walked to the consular window together and interviewed together. This time, my sister [22 yo] is also applying for the visitor visa along with my parents. Should they all interview together as they intend to travel together, or should my sister (who is of the perfect age people think won't return to their home country) interview separately?
    Last edited by rjoker; 12-01-2016, 06:50 PM.

Your current status should not impact on their visa application.

You have to send the sponsor documents like tax returns, financial documents, employment letter etc. Link for visitor visa application process at,

Visa officer evaluate each applicant individually so does not matter your sister and parents go for the interview together or separate.
    Last edited by jnk; 12-02-2016, 09:54 PM.
    This is not a legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X