Visitor stay extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitor stay extension

My parents entered Canada on Visitor Visa in July 2016. They already have been to USA on visitor visa a couple of times before for 5-6 months. While in Canada, they entered USA for a day in August 2016 with my brother and his family (They hold PR status there in Canada) and left back to Canada the same day. US Officials stamped 6 months I-94 date (till Feb 27, 2017). We had plans to get them here in US with us from Nov 2016 till Apr 2017. When they entered US in Nov 2016, the immigration officer denied to stamp a new date on the passport and told them not to visit USA so frequently and go back to the home country before coming back to US again. He did tell them that they can get the stay extended while in US but there is no guarantee that it will be approved. We just need them with us till the first week of April 2017.

What are your suggestions on my case? Any help will be appreciated.

They could apply for extension of status some time in February close to their I-94 expiration, and it definitely won't be decided by the time they leave in April as it takes 3-5 months these days, so they don't have the risk of denial while they are still here which would invalidate their visa. However, the application is very expensive ($370).

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      They could apply for extension of status some time in February close to their I-94 expiration, and it definitely won't be decided by the time they leave in April as it takes 3-5 months these days, so they don't have the risk of denial while they are still here which would invalidate their visa. However, the application is very expensive ($370).
      Do you mean if we file the extension in Feb, they will still be able to stay till the decision comes out? Is it recommended to do that or will it create any problems in future?

Comment

Originally posted by gssaini View Post
        Do you mean if we file the extension in Feb, they will still be able to stay till the decision comes out?
        yes

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X