B2 visit for dating, with intent to K1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2 visit for dating, with intent to K1

I have been reading/researching for a few weeks now, and am hoping someone can clear something up for me.

Several months ago, it was suggested by a mutual friend who moved here from the Dominican Republic several years ago, that a friend of hers who still resides there would be a great match for me. We began chatting online, and things evolved to me going to visit him in the D.R. last week. We hit it off great and wish to pursue a relationship and hopefully marriage.

Rather than jump right into a K1, we both would prefer to do the responsible thing and get to know each other a little better, and have him come visit me here on a B2 Visa for a couple weeks, to make sure it's a good fit.

I understand it is not appropriate to enter the country on a B2 "with the intent to marry." I also understand that "honesty is the best policy" when dealing with USCIS.

So, my question is this ... is it best to have my new friend be honest in his B2 interview, and explain the exact nature of our dating and our intentions to possibly marry via K1 at a later date, or would it be best to leave any discussion of dating/marriage out of it, and just pretend it's a simple "tourism" trip?

Also, it is my understanding that he was previously denied about 2 years ago, for not having close enough ties to his country, despite letters from his work and school, and his mother and sister living nearby. Unfortunately, he rents an apartment (not owned), does not own a car, and has no savings or investments. I see that the state department says that letters of invitation and affidavits of support are "allowed" but will not be considered. If his living situation isn't any different than 2 years ago, and an invitation or affidavit of support from me will not considered as a factor in approving a B2, is it likely a waste of time to attempt B2 again, meaning we should just take the plunge and go for K1?

Lastly, not that I believe it matters, but I will clarify that we are gay. As far as I can tell, that is no longer an issue from a legal/policy standpoint. But I would welcome any feedback or warnings in regard to how our sexual orientation could impact the process.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Marc

Originally posted by marc941 View Post
    I have been reading/researching for a few weeks now, and am hoping someone can clear something up for me.

Several months ago, it was suggested by a mutual friend who moved here from the Dominican Republic several years ago, that a friend of hers who still resides there would be a great match for me. We began chatting online, and things evolved to me going to visit him in the D.R. last week. We hit it off great and wish to pursue a relationship and hopefully marriage.

Rather than jump right into a K1, we both would prefer to do the responsible thing and get to know each other a little better, and have him come visit me here on a B2 Visa for a couple weeks, to make sure it's a good fit.

I understand it is not appropriate to enter the country on a B2 "with the intent to marry." I also understand that "honesty is the best policy" when dealing with USCIS.

So, my question is this ... is it best to have my new friend be honest in his B2 interview, and explain the exact nature of our dating and our intentions to possibly marry via K1 at a later date, or would it be best to leave any discussion of dating/marriage out of it, and just pretend it's a simple "tourism" trip?

Also, it is my understanding that he was previously denied about 2 years ago, for not having close enough ties to his country, despite letters from his work and school, and his mother and sister living nearby. Unfortunately, he rents an apartment (not owned), does not own a car, and has no savings or investments. I see that the state department says that letters of invitation and affidavits of support are "allowed" but will not be considered. If his living situation isn't any different than 2 years ago, and an invitation or affidavit of support from me will not considered as a factor in approving a B2, is it likely a waste of time to attempt B2 again, meaning we should just take the plunge and go for K1?

Lastly, not that I believe it matters, but I will clarify that we are gay. As far as I can tell, that is no longer an issue from a legal/policy standpoint. But I would welcome any feedback or warnings in regard to how our sexual orientation could impact the process.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Marc
    It is unlikely that with a previous application denied and nothing having changed a successful application will happen. But no harm trying.

They will ask him why he wants to visit, do not lie, they are not stupid and have no doubt heard it all before.

A K1 is for moving to the US and you mention many reasons he can not?

Comment

Originally posted by Bayfield View Post
      It is unlikely that with a previous application denied and nothing having changed a successful application will happen. But no harm trying.

They will ask him why he wants to visit, do not lie, they are not stupid and have no doubt heard it all before.

A K1 is for moving to the US and you mention many reasons he can not?
      I'm not sure I understand your last statement. Yes, I am aware K1 is for moving to US and I don't see that I posted any reasons he cannot move here.

We were simply hoping to date a little bit more and having him come visit here before deciding for sure to get married and filing a K1. But if USCIS won't let him come here on a tourist visa to check it out first, it sounds as though we're essentially forced to rush into getting engaged, in order to even be able to test the waters together here at my home in the US.

I would hope that USCIS might be more willing to issue a tourist visa given the honest truth. Of course it would be better for a potential spouse to visit the US before deciding to get married.

There's no problem with filing for both a B2 and a K1 at the same time, is there? It seems K1 is averaging 6 months right now, while a B2 seems to be about a 65 day wait right now for the D.R... With a little luck, if we file both, B2 is approved and he can visit for a couple weeks in June (June is the soonest he can come visit, due to work), with a K1 started soon which might be approved by Oct/Nov so he can move here by year end and get married.

Does this all make sense?

Thanks!

Comment

You mention job school and family as reasons he would need to return.

Sounds a long time for a B and a quick time for a K1.

To file a K1 you need to only have met once, to obtain a visa you need to show a valid relationship.

You can have multiple applications running at one time.

Comment

He should be pretending that he's a tourist. If you say to the ìm your real purposes, like the ones your friend has, they'll come up with a bunch of excuses, which might not even be related to B2, on the surface, but in the deep, this was the reason. There are a lot of impediments getting in the way of love, but the laws are the last ones that we should care about. Nothing should prevent people from dating and loving eachother. My girlfriend is from Peru - at the other end of the world and we live together in Europe. Soon we'll have a baby, a boy, we'll call him Ernesto, like Ernesto "Che" Guevara, and the father of my wife.
          A good article about Peruvian women:
          https://idateadvice.com/5-things-to-...peruvian-women

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X