Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deported from Canada 13 years ago.

Hi,

I'm applying for a B1/B2 visa to enter the USA. I'm having trouble answering two questions in the DS-160 Electronic Application:

- "Have you ever been subject of a removal or deportation hearing?"

-"Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any crime, even though subject of pardon, amnesty, etc.?"

My family was deported from Canada in 2004. We were held 10 days in a detention center. At the time, I was 11 years old. I didn't personally go to any hearing, and of course I barely understood what was going on. Question is, what should I answer? Can my name be on some database or something like that, being that I was a minor? Does being held in a detention center count as being arrested, considering my age?

Thank you!

You should answer yes. When visa officer ask you can give more information. You were minor at that time so it should not be any problem but let visa officer decide on it.
    This is not a legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by faustomazzarella View Post
      Hi,

I'm applying for a B1/B2 visa to enter the USA. I'm having trouble answering two questions in the DS-160 Electronic Application:

- "Have you ever been subject of a removal or deportation hearing?"

-"Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any crime, even though subject of pardon, amnesty, etc.?"

My family was deported from Canada in 2004. We were held 10 days in a detention center. At the time, I was 11 years old. I didn't personally go to any hearing, and of course I barely understood what was going on. Question is, what should I answer? Can my name be on some database or something like that, being that I was a minor? Does being held in a detention center count as being arrested, considering my age?

Thank you!

You were never arrested. "No"

I would want to clarify if the removal or deportation pertains to the US or around the world, before answering that question. I don't think there will be an issue if you have the opportunity to explain it, I'm just thinking they may reject it without an interview if you answer yes.
      Not legal advice.

Comment

This is certainly a new question for the DS-160 that wasn't there previously

Comment

Hi, I am in a similar situation. Did you end up saying yes or no to that question? The question does not specify if it's the US or any other country. Thanks

Comment

You can speak to a lawyer about the possibility of a stay of removal order. Sometimes it pans out but, to be frank, its a crapshoot.

iMessage for PC
            Last edited by Nissen759; 03-25-2021, 12:37 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X