Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denied B2 Visa - Now Need to Transit Through USA. Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denied B2 Visa - Now Need to Transit Through USA. Please Help!

Hi everyone,

I was denied a B2 (Tourist) Visa at the US Consulate in Cape Town a few months ago when I was attempting to visit my boyfriend of over a year (a US citizen) in his home state due to a lack of ties to South Africa. I am a female in my early-mid 20s, obviously unmarried and with no children. I have stable employment with our family business but I do not own/rent any land myself, although I do own a car. I have a bank account with a moderate (over $5k USD) amount in savings. I brought documents supporting these things to my interview but was denied before I had a chance to present them.

Due to the denial we have made alternate plans to go on vacation in Central America at the end of the year so I can officially meet his family (as he has spent time with me in South Africa and met mine), but unfortunately the only cost efficient options to fly to Central America from South Africa are via the USA, meaning I again need to apply for a US Visa.

I have done research on the 'Transit' (C1) Visa but it seems from the few opinions I've found that this is more geared towards Ship/Plane crew members than people simply transiting to other countries through the USA and it seems recommended to apply for a B2 Visa in this case instead. This worries me, as I've previously been denied a B2 visa.

I'd appreciate any opinions as to what I can do in this situation, and how to better my chances of successfully obtaining the visa I need this time.

Thank you very much!

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was denied a B2 (Tourist) Visa at the US Consulate in Cape Town a few months ago when I was attempting to visit my boyfriend of over a year (a US citizen) in his home state due to a lack of ties to South Africa. I am a female in my early-mid 20s, obviously unmarried and with no children. I have stable employment with our family business but I do not own/rent any land myself, although I do own a car. I have a bank account with a moderate (over $5k USD) amount in savings. I brought documents supporting these things to my interview but was denied before I had a chance to present them.

Due to the denial we have made alternate plans to go on vacation in Central America at the end of the year so I can officially meet his family (as he has spent time with me in South Africa and met mine), but unfortunately the only cost efficient options to fly to Central America from South Africa are via the USA, meaning I again need to apply for a US Visa.

I have done research on the 'Transit' (C1) Visa but it seems from the few opinions I've found that this is more geared towards Ship/Plane crew members than people simply transiting to other countries through the USA and it seems recommended to apply for a B2 Visa in this case instead. This worries me, as I've previously been denied a B2 visa.

I'd appreciate any opinions as to what I can do in this situation, and how to better my chances of successfully obtaining the visa I need this time.

Thank you very much!
    A C-1 transit visa is appropriate.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      A C-1 transit visa is appropriate.
      Thank you for your answer!

If you don't mind me asking further, do you think it is recommended to have my plane tickets already booked before appearing at my interview, especially since I've been denied before? I would hate to purchase a ticket only to be rejected as it's going to be easily in the realm of $2,500 but I fear that it may be necessary to receive the visa.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
        Thank you for your answer!

If you don't mind me asking further, do you think it is recommended to have my plane tickets already booked before appearing at my interview, especially since I've been denied before? I would hate to purchase a ticket only to be rejected as it's going to be easily in the realm of $2,500 but I fear that it may be necessary to receive the visa.
        Generally the advice for things like this is not to book the tickets before your interview. As you say, because if you're denied at your C-1 interview, you've wasted money. And with the fact you've been denied for a visa before, you'd be under more scrutiny when they're deciding your C-1 visa.
        Marriage AOS - 2018

4-10: Sent to Chicago Lockbox
        4-12: Arrived in Chicago
        4-14: Picked up by USCIS
        4-19: Email & text notifications received
        4-23: I-797 Receipts received
        4-27: Biometrics notice received
        5-10: Courtesy letter for I-693
        5-11: Biometrics completed
        6-04: Interview scheduled
        6-09: Received interview letter
        7-10: Interview complete & approved, status change to New Card being Produced
        7-13: Card was Mailed
        7-18: Green Card in Hand

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X