Change everything in DS-156

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change everything in DS-156

I was planning on sponsoring my parents' in law's and my wife's sister visa application.

So while we submitted the VISA application in DS156, we mentioned that I will be the sponsor. My wife is a student on an internship and earning less money. We are planning on inviting the three of them for her graduation ceremony in December. Her I-20 expires in december.

But now I changed jobs (started only last week on new job) and our addresses changed.

So problems are:
    1. Changed jobs - no new I-797 yet. I have only a receipt with
    2. Changed jobs - no paystub from new company
    3. Address changed - anyway DS156 has to be updated
    4. I have tax return filings only for last 2 years, though I have been filing for 4 years - Lost the rest of them
    5. My wife I-20 expiring in December. And the VISA interview is mid-July.

So with all these problems, now I am thinking if it is a better idea to change DS-156 and not list us as sponsors. My parents in law can show that they can sponsor themselves. My father-in-law has a B1/B2 that is expired now and has visited the US for 20 days five years back.

If they can show enough financial support and strong ties to India, is it better for them to sponsor themselves because of these problems or is it still better for us to sponsor as we had planned. In that case, how do we address each of these problems?

Please reply. We have to start preparing docs if we need to send. Please respond soon. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by PleaseHelp
    I was planning on sponsoring my parents' in law's and my wife's sister visa application.

So while we submitted the VISA application in DS156, we mentioned that I will be the sponsor. My wife is a student on an internship and earning less money. We are planning on inviting the three of them for her graduation ceremony in December. Her I-20 expires in december.

But now I changed jobs (started only last week on new job) and our addresses changed.

So problems are:
    1. Changed jobs - no new I-797 yet. I have only a receipt with
    2. Changed jobs - no paystub from new company
    3. Address changed - anyway DS156 has to be updated
    4. I have tax return filings only for last 2 years, though I have been filing for 4 years - Lost the rest of them
    5. My wife I-20 expiring in December. And the VISA interview is mid-July.

U can still apply with the receipt. If u get the new I 797 before interview, u can send a copy as well. Changing jobs won't affect the interview as far as u have documented proof of legal stay here. For the address change, if u've filled the form online, u can modify the form online. Otherwise take a new blank DS156 form and fill all details manually and take it for interview. Tell the officer, who's collecting the form, whats changed. (u can write a letter detailing whats changed and why if ur parents can't answer that). 2 Yrs tax returns will be enough also. Ur wifes I-20 is valid during the interview time. so its fine too.

These are just my opinions..

So with all these problems, now I am thinking if it is a better idea to change DS-156 and not list us as sponsors. My parents in law can show that they can sponsor themselves. My father-in-law has a B1/B2 that is expired now and has visited the US for 20 days five years back.

If they can show enough financial support and strong ties to India, is it better for them to sponsor themselves because of these problems or is it still better for us to sponsor as we had planned. In that case, how do we address each of these problems?

Please reply. We have to start preparing docs if we need to send. Please respond soon. Thanks in advance.
    see above..

Comment

Thanks!
      I am going to do the way you said. I really hope thats okie. Thanks again.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X