Cover letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cover letter

Hi to all. Can someone please tell me when is the best time to present my cover letter to the VO? Do I put this letter in the folder with the required documents or do I wait until the VO asks about my ties to India. I have stated the nature of my trip and assurance of my return to India in this letter and want to make sure I show at right time so as to have positive effect. Thanks to all

I asked my parents to give the letter along with the passports and DS 156/157 app forms to the VO as soon as they greet her/him. They did that and the VO read the entire letter. So here's exactly what they did: At the entrance they just submitted their passports and app forms and the person checked them and returned those docs to my parents in a folder. After that when they were waiting for their interview, they slipped the cover letter into this same folder. So as soon as they went for their interview, VO asked to give their passports and this letter was on top of everything, so she read it and my parents got their VISA.

I am not sure how far my theory is true but here's my experience for the past 6 years with US Visas. In 1999 I wanted to come here as a student and my Visa got rejected multiple times. So I had to reschedule my joining date to the next semester and for the next semester when I applied (back in those days, we had to mail the app if it was rejected twice in person) I wrote a letter explaining why I would return to India and left it in the first page of my passport. I got the VISA in that attempt.

Then in 2002 we wanted our parents to visit us. Both me and brother are here in the US. We were under the impression that visitor's visa is the easiest to get and did not bother writing any letters and my parents' visa got rejected. After that we tried 3 times in a row for just my mom's visa and it got rejected. For the 4th time again I did the same thing. Wrote a letter and left it in the first page of the passport. This time she got her visa.

With all these experiences in the past, this time I wrote a letter and it worked.

So my conclusion is that, even if you cannot convince a VO of your return by your answers in an interview, this letter might help and is always worth a try!!!

Sri

Comment

Much thanks

Thank you very much for your fast reply and for the in depth circumstances of your cases. I will follow your advice, as that seems the only way to go. You have reduced my worries over this matter...

Thank you again

Comment

I am just writing this message to say THANKS to gouthamsri for the detailed response. This post will be helpful for many others like me. I will ask my parents who are going for an appt in a few weeks to do the same. Thank you.

- Jaya.

Comment

question

First of all, thanks for the detailed response. I have a question: was the cover letter written by your mother or by yourself? My mother has had her visa refused 3 times, and the 3rd time it was because she didnt disclose that I was in the States in her prior applications (a total goof up, not intending to lie but she misunderstood the intent as she was advised wrongly by a stupid travel agent.) I am writing a letter to the embassy first stating the reasons why she misstated the facts in her previous applications (an error, but not an intent to lie) and also reasons why she will be going back to India. Is that ok for the cover letter to be written from my side? If she even got a 3 month visa, I would be just ecstatic.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by gouthamsri
            I asked my parents to give the letter along with the passports and DS 156/157 app forms to the VO as soon as they greet her/him. They did that and the VO read the entire letter. So here's exactly what they did: At the entrance they just submitted their passports and app forms and the person checked them and returned those docs to my parents in a folder. After that when they were waiting for their interview, they slipped the cover letter into this same folder. So as soon as they went for their interview, VO asked to give their passports and this letter was on top of everything, so she read it and my parents got their VISA.

I am not sure how far my theory is true but here's my experience for the past 6 years with US Visas. In 1999 I wanted to come here as a student and my Visa got rejected multiple times. So I had to reschedule my joining date to the next semester and for the next semester when I applied (back in those days, we had to mail the app if it was rejected twice in person) I wrote a letter explaining why I would return to India and left it in the first page of my passport. I got the VISA in that attempt.

Then in 2002 we wanted our parents to visit us. Both me and brother are here in the US. We were under the impression that visitor's visa is the easiest to get and did not bother writing any letters and my parents' visa got rejected. After that we tried 3 times in a row for just my mom's visa and it got rejected. For the 4th time again I did the same thing. Wrote a letter and left it in the first page of the passport. This time she got her visa.

With all these experiences in the past, this time I wrote a letter and it worked.

So my conclusion is that, even if you cannot convince a VO of your return by your answers in an interview, this letter might help and is always worth a try!!!

Sri
            hi, my parents visa got rejected twice in a two year row under 214(b).
            Can you please send me that letter which works for you more than once to get the visa both for u and for your parents.
            can you please forward it to [email protected], which helps my parents to get them visitors visa next year which i already schedule it on Feb 28 2007.

I really appreciate if you can send me those letters description.

THanks
            Mirza.

Comment

Hello RNB,

The letter was written by my parents (basically I composed it for them and they signed it). Regarding your situation a letter might help but please be careful with the choice of words!

Hello MSB,

In both cases the letter pretty much explained our personal situation. Like this time we stressed on the fact that they have to go back to India to take care of the farming lands and give bonuses to the workers etc. We also mentioned that every year we make a trip to India (which is true, every year, we are in India either during Thanksgiving or Christmas for about 3 weeks) but since we work full time we are unable to get long vacation. So only if they come here to the US will we get a chance to spend quality time. This is the gist of the letter. You can compose the letter based on your situation accordingly.

When my parents visa got rejected 3 years ago, the letter content was something on the lines of "a mom who wants to desperately visit her children and spend quality time with them".

HTH
              Sri

Comment

Thanks gauthamsri for explaining about the cover letter. If possible can you please email me the winning cover letter as you sent to yoour parents. My parents visa got rejected on July 25th which disappointed me a lot. We booked again for Feb 02,, but again we have to try in every possible way. It would be great help if u can email the cover letter to [email protected].

Thanks

Comment

cover letter

hi
                  c
                  can u please send me copy of cover letter u composed for ur motherplease send it at this adress [email protected]

Comment

cover letter

All, I'm just about to fed-ex the papers to my parents and finally i was checking this website for last minute alerts. I think it's definitly a great idea to put the cover lettter. I did see several requests for getting a copy of that excellent CL. can someone send me a copy to my email address, [email protected]. I greatly appreciate your help and I hope they remove all the restrictions and give the visa based on the person in usa to have full ersponsibility of sending them back other wise make sponser face the penalty. I hate to see they giving all kinds of this rejecting troubles to the elder people. they are not even respecting the fact that they are simply not coming to do some crap here.

Again,

thank you in advane and wait for a copy
                    mrl

Comment

Can you please send the cover letter to my email id also

Can you please send me the cover letter to my email id [email protected] My parents has the interview for visitor visa in couple of days.

Comment

Hello, I would really appreciate if someone can send me a copy of the letter as well to [email protected]
                        Thanks in Advance.

Comment

COVER Letter please

Hi, if someone got the cover letter, can u please email at [email protected]. I greatly appreciate your help, I'm in the same situation, do not want to miss anything that may impact the approval.

Comment

This is great, can some body send me the covering latter as my brothe is also going for a visa my email address is [email protected]

All the help is much appriciated.
                            Thanks in advance.

Comment

Gr8. CAn someone please forward the model covering letter to me on [email protected]

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X