Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much funds does sponsor need to show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much funds does sponsor need to show?

My parents are applying for B2 tourist / family visit visa to come see me. I am trying to figure out how much funds do I need to show to support them? Many people say $5k per person is enough, but what kind of time frame are we talking here about? My parents are visiting for 2-3 months, so how much funds will be enough for that much duration?

I am not in a position financially to have $10k in bank, so a friend suggested that I book separate appointment on separate dates for my parents and have them take in the same proof of funds. I am very confused about this. So I thought of getting some advice here.

Please advice. Many thanks in advance.

You have not mentioned whether you are a student or you are working in US. If you do not have a job with at least $30k-40k/year salary in US , you should not sponsor your parents. It will be foolish to send an I-134
    (affidavit of support) with no salary. Instead, they should show that they are
    spending their own money. I think they should be able to show expenditure
    amount for a trip of 2-3 months + money in deposits for their future in INdia.This will go in their favour
    because people who spend their own money are more likely to come back
    and have a better chance to get a visitor visa.
    You only need to send them an invitation letter ( addressed to the consular,
    US embassy/consulate) describing your visa,job/study status in US and
    also attach a copy of your passport and visa.

Originally posted by crypticlineage
    My parents are applying for B2 tourist / family visit visa to come see me. I am trying to figure out how much funds do I need to show to support them? Many people say $5k per person is enough, but what kind of time frame are we talking here about? My parents are visiting for 2-3 months, so how much funds will be enough for that much duration?

I am not in a position financially to have $10k in bank, so a friend suggested that I book separate appointment on separate dates for my parents and have them take in the same proof of funds. I am very confused about this. So I thought of getting some advice here.

Please advice. Many thanks in advance.

Comment

Peace,

Thanks for the explanation. I am currently working on H1 and make around $28k pa plus benefits. Can I still sponsor my parents? My parents are going to buy the tickets and I am going to take care of their expenses here.

Thanks

Comment

Since they can afford the air fare, the stay with you will be negligible expense anyway. So they should say on DS-156 and to the officer that they are spending their own money. But they should be able to support this statement with a good income (if working)-salary slip, IT returns and other deposits, bonds, shares, savings, FDs, property etc.
        You can just send an invitation letter with your employment, visa details and attach copies of your passport and visa. If you have an original birth certificate , send a copy of that too, sometimes the consular
        asks for that to establish your relationship with your parents.

Peace,

Thanks for the explanation. I am currently working on H1 and make around $28k pa plus benefits. Can I still sponsor my parents? My parents are going to buy the tickets and I am going to take care of their expenses here.

Thanks

Comment

Could they write on their DS-156 that both parties will bear the expenses?

Comment

You could but it does not go very well in favour of visa issuance.
            Tell me about your parents; are they working,what is the income or retired?how much funds can they show?
            Could they write on their DS-156 that both parties will bear the expenses?

Comment

They can show upto Rs. 1.8 lakhs in cash and fixed deposit certificates. That will cover their tickets and a bit more expenses. 1.8 lakhs is approximately $4k and I can show around $3k support from me.

My dad works for BSNL, and mom is a housewife.

Anyways, I had to get the appointment today, so we mentioned funding support from both parties in DS-156.

Comment

Hi,

1.8 lakhs is enough for their trip, but if that is all they have, the visa officer may not be convinced of their financial status to sponsor for their trip.

If a couple have 10lakhs or more in savings, they could afford to spend 1-2 lakhs (i.e. 10 - 20%) for their tour/vacation/luxury trip. If a couple has only 1-2 lakhs, then the visa offier will doubt if they really want to spend away ALL their savings for the trip and he gets a doubt if they are planning to move to USA permanently and start earning in USA.

This is jut my opinion and please wait for others to respond with more ideas and thoughts..

- Jaya.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X