Got Visa - here's what happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Visa - here's what happened

My parents-in-law got 10yr multiple-entry visas 2 weeks ago at Chennai. My wife is the only daughter and FIL is (voluntarily) retired. So we were bracing for a denial. But we did prepare very well, thanks to this awesome website!

We were surprised that they looked at just one document - sponsor's employment verif. letter. All the bank statements, affidavits, tax returns, bla bla were not needed. But ofcourse, it doesn't mean no one needs to take these. Just want to stress that documents are only to support your case. The main battle is the interview; and if you answer the interviewer's questions in a straight forward and clear manner, I think it's most of the battle won.

One thing we had been worried about was whether my parents-in-law would be able to communicate with the American interviewer. They know english, but they are not at all used to the accent. But it turned out fine - they had no problem communicating. Infact, my mother-in-law didn't have to answer a single question.

Here is more detailed info from my FIL about what happened at the consulate. We could have used this kind of detail before we went; so thought of sharing it.

Stage I-(Security check at the gate)
    1)Appointment letter (3 copies per applicant)
    2)Original Passport

Stage II
    3)security scan (individuals + material)

Stage III
    4)Producing original DS156 form+DS157 form+DS158(where applicable)+Appointment letter + Passport+HDFC Bank receipt(in duplicate)
    5)After scrutiny by Consulate staff, Documents detailed in No:4 above will be delivered back to the applicant + one memo(yellow color) detailing the schedule of what the applicants have to carry out inside US consulate.

Stage IV
    6)Finger prints scanning

Stage V
    7)Listen carefully the contents of speech delivered by Chief of Consulate General(Very informative and useful)

Stage VI
    8) Get ready to meet the visa issuing officer to attend the face to face interview.

Stage VII
    9)Produce form DS156,DS157,original passport,HDFC receipt in duplicate to the visa issuing official.
    10)whatever questions asked are very clearly audible over the speaker on the top of the counter
    11)the interviewer is very courteous and relaxed
    12)after completion of the interview, proceed to Cash counter and make payment towards visa issuance fee, if so directed
    13)Take delivery of the acknowledgement from the cash counter staff.

Questions asked:
    1)who are all in USA and why do you want to go to USA
    2)how many chidren do you have
    3) what is your daughter doing in USA
    4)How long your sil is in usa and what is he doing now
    5)Can you produce the evidences---(showed employment verification letters+ I-134)
    6)What were you doing before the current job
    7)How do you ensure that you will be back to india
    8)how many months do you plan to stay in USA?
    9)Why so long (we asked for 6 months)?

Optional steps:
    1)Say Thanks to every member of staff whom you pass through upto the exit gate.
    2)Goto the nearest Phone booth and make a call to your near and dear.(Of course it will be night time in USA if you make a call from India)
    3) goto the nearest restarunt and enjoy the feast

Thanks a lot for sharing the details. This is really very very helpful for people who are going for first time & I was looking for this info to prepare my parents.

I had couple of questions on the steps you menioned below.
    1. StageI - Appointment letter (3 copies per applicant)
    Do we need to make 3-copies & take it?

2. Stage III- HDFC Bank receipt(in duplicate)
    Do we get original & duplicate bank receipts when we take the DD?

3. What did your in-laws answer for question: Why so long (we asked for 6 months?

Congrats on the visa & Thanks for the info

Comment

thanks for sharing this valuable info with all of us. can you also clarify the following?

1) what kind of file can we carry? i was told by someone that we need to put the docs in a transparent ziploc bag.

2) what about personal belongings like umbrella (if it's an afternoon interview and weather in chennai is hot). is there a place to store them somewhere?

3) do we already affix the photo on the DS156 forms or will the consulate folks do it?

4) do we need to make 3 copies of the appt letter? none of the websites listing documents mention this explicitly.

5) HDFC receipt duplicate - are you saying that we need to photocopy the receipt provided and take it?

thanks in advance
      regards
      guru

Comment

Some answers

Appointment letter: I thought they took 2 copies; not sure why my FIL mentioned 3. I'll check with him and get back here.

HDFC barcode receipts in duplicate: I believe the HDFC bank themselves give us 2 copies. No need for extra photocopy.

Photo: the DS156 form instructs us to affix the photo; that's what we did

File/Folder: My FIL bought a few transparent folders, and that's what he carried the documents in. Zip-lock bags should work too.

Personal belongings/umbrella etc: my folks didn't carry anything with them. I am not sure if there is facility to store this kind of stuff. I'll check if my FIL knows.

It'll probably help to know that you don't have to wait for long in the queue outside. If you show up about an hour in advance, they'll let you in pretty soon, and make you sit (in groups based on your interview time) inside.

Answer to "why 6 months" qn: they said something like "We are meeting our daughter and SIL after more than 2.5 years. We don't want to rush the trip. If they visit us, they hardly stay for 2 weeks. So we want to spend some time with them."

Comment

Answers: update

Appointment letter: you just need 2 copies. taking the extra copy was purely an extra precaution

Facility to store stuff: doesn't seem to be there. don't count on it.

Seems, the consulate staff are quite considerate of people's comfort. They don't make older people wait in the sun or anything like that.

Good luck!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X