Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father started working only since 4 months after retirement long ago

Hello all,

My parents are planning to go for visitior visa.

My dad has retired from his job 4 years back. And he recently (june'06) joined a real estate firm as marketing manager.

So my question is, in the I-156 form, is it good to say that he is retired or that he is still working? The reason for my question is since he is working now, the consulate would ask for income tax papers and he doesnt have any.

How to handle this situation?

Please help.

Hi Sam, In my view it is always better to speak truth. In my case the VO asked me what I am doing after retirement any business etc. I said that I am involved with a NGO called Senior Citizens Welfare Forum in my city and doing voluntary work for uncared aged persons of the society . That impressed the VO and she appreciated me for that work and did't ask for any documents as regard to tax statement etc.So tell your father to answer the facts with boldness and confidence. I again insist that body language counts a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by sam_9819
      Hello all,

My parents are planning to go for visitior visa.

My dad has retired from his job 4 years back. And he recently (june'06) joined a real estate firm as marketing manager.

So my question is, in the I-156 form, is it good to say that he is retired or that he is still working? The reason for my question is since he is working now, the consulate would ask for income tax papers and he doesnt have any.

How to handle this situation?

Please help.

Hello,

It is always preferable to convey the exact and true situation to the Consular Officer. Tell them frankly that you are retired and he has joined a Real Estate Firm as Marketing Manager. He is still working and has this job to return to the Home country.All they are intrested in making sure that you are returning to the home country after the visit to the US on the visitors visa. He can show the proof from the employer that he is still doing some job.

Comment

Hi,

It all depends on whether it is a full time job or a part-time (or doing something because he is getting bored at home) job. Do you think if your father quits this job, will he get the same job back once he goes back to India? If the job is not full time, I don't think Visa officer will agree with the reasoning that your father will go back to India for a part time job. Or it will be tough to convince the Visa officer that the employeer will keep the job open for 6 months expecting your dad to go back and join the same job.

So, I guess you will be the better judge on how to fill the form. If it is not a full time job, I would rather say retired and live with it instead of getting an employment letter and tax forms etc.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you all for the input.

I think I will go with the truth. This is a full time job and I already asked my dad to take a leave letter for 3 months so that it proves that hes going to come back to join the job.

Thanks.

Comment

Father started working only since 4 months after

Hi Sam,

I do have a same issue. See my thread below.

http://www.immihelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21137

My Parents were rejected on 214(b) basis. VO said my father How can you get a six month vacation for a six month job?

Though, You can try your luck.

Let me know the result.

Good Luck!!

parents2us

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X