Parents visiting US multiple times in the same year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents visiting US multiple times in the same year

Hi All , I need some advise figuring out if there will be any problem if my mother visits the US twice in the same year.She has been stamped with visa entry till may 23rd og 2007 though she plans to go back to india on Jan 17th 2006 itsself.But she needs to come back to the US in July , so will it be a problem of entry .Is there a rule that a tourist needs at least 3 months between two visits?

Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks
    -Aarthi

There is no rule like that but parents staying 5-6 months on one visit should
    space two visits by 5-6 months. In your case, there should not be any problems because there is ample spacing time between Jan and July.

Originally posted by aarthi_s
    Hi All , I need some advise figuring out if there will be any problem if my mother visits the US twice in the same year.She has been stamped with visa entry till may 23rd og 2007 though she plans to go back to india on Jan 17th 2006 itsself.But she needs to come back to the US in July , so will it be a problem of entry .Is there a rule that a tourist needs at least 3 months between two visits?

Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks
    -Aarthi

Comment

Question to peace

If there is no rule stating that there should be a gap between visits, then why did you advise that a space of 5-6 months needs to be maintained between visits? Did you know some one who faced a problem?

Comment

There is no general rule about the spacing for B1/B2 holders because B1/B2 holders come from all backgrounds. One just has to use one's common sense in matching the frequency of visits with the purpose of visit. Businessmen with B1/B2 enter US several times a year for short stays without facing any problems. It is different with tourists and casual visitors like parents. 5-6 months spacing after a 6 month stay is generally considered reasonable as a VISIT.

Law has given discretionary powers to officers at entry who can assume
        immigrant intent for people entering too quickly after spending long periods
        in US.
        There have been reports of parents facing "secondary" interviewing and tough grilling at entry when they have tried to enter
        too quickly.

Originally posted by Biju
        If there is no rule stating that there should be a gap between visits, then why did you advise that a space of 5-6 months needs to be maintained between visits? Did you know some one who faced a problem?
        Last edited by peace; 12-04-2006, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Thank you peace, I was considering bringing my mom and was wondering if it is possible to have her come back quickly after a 6 month stay, but like you said if you come back too quickly then you are not "VISITING" but "RESIDING". Do you know whether parents who came back quickly were granted a stay of 6 months (after all the grilling) if not whether any adverse action was taken like canceling the visa or reducing the visa,etc.

Originally posted by peace
          There is no general rule about the spacing for B1/B2 holders because B1/B2 holders come from all backgrounds. One just has to use one's common sense in matching the frequency of visits with the purpose of visit. Businessmen with B1/B2 enter US several times a year for short stays without facing any problems. It is different with tourists and casual visitors like parents. 5-6 months spacing after a 6 month stay is generally considered reasonable as a VISIT.

Law has given discretionary powers to officers at entry who can assume
          immigrant intent for people entering too quickly after spending long periods
          in US.
          There have been reports of parents facing "secondary" interviewing and tough grilling at entry when they have tried to enter
          too quickly.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X