A Big Dilemma!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Big Dilemma!!!

My mother arrived in the country on visitor visa and will be living with us for 6 months. After her arrival we found out that I am going to have my baby one month after my mother’s I-94 expires.

Dilemma 1: Should I file for her visitor visa extension, which already 2 lawyers have suggested against, since it would be too risky, as she has already been here for 6 months?

Dilemma 2: She will leave at her preplanned date of departure and arrive after 2 months from her departure. What problems she might face during entry? Since she is coming back to the US in just 2 months and in the same year what issues could arise?

Has anybody else been in this scenario, or anybody has good suggestion/advice, then please help!
    Last edited by Tintin; 12-05-2006, 04:31 PM.

Extension is rightly not advised. And reentering in 2 months after a 6 month stay is not advised either. SHe will have problems at entry.
    The best strategy is to leave now (How long has she been here?)
    and reenter around your delivery time.

Originally posted by Tintin
    My mother arrived in the country on visitor visa and will be living with us for 6 months. After her arrival we found out that I am going to have my baby one month after my mother’s I-94 expires.

Dilemma 1: Should I file for her visitor visa extension, which already 2 lawyers have suggested against, since it would be too risky, as she has already been here for 6 months?

Dilemma 2: She will leave at her preplanned date of departure and arrive after 2 months from her departure. What problems she might face during entry? Since she is coming back to the US in just 2 months and in the same year what issues could arise?

Has anybody else been in this scenario, or anybody has good suggestion/advice, then please help!

Comment

Thanks for your response.

My mother is here since september and her return is in february, my delivery is in april.

What kind of problems she might face on entry?

Comment

Well, if she wants to return in April, she should leave now. She has already been here 3 months. A gap of 4 months after a 3 month stay may still be passable.

A reentry 2 months after a 6 month stay implies "STAYING " in US rather than
        "VISItING " and it may prompt the inspector to send her to "secondary interviewing" where she may be grilled for making a quick reentry. She may be let in or she may be stopped and sent back depending
        on what she answers and the type of inspector she will get.

My mother is here since september and her return is in february, my delivery is in april.

Comment

You should follow your attorneys advice but I really dont see why she cant apply for an extension, she been here for barely 4 months and have a legitimate reason for seeking an extension. I personally dont see what the risk is in applying for the extension.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X