Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice for my Mother's visitor visa

Hi,

we want my mother to visit us in CA. She will be applying (first time) at Calcutta consulate. Pl advice me for expected questions (Do and donts). My situation is little problematic that my dad is no more. I have 2 sisters. Elder sister is settled in Toronto, while younger is studying in India (unmarried). We just received our green card too. I am thinking of following. pl advice for do's and don'ts. Also pl comment on what are our chances.

1. Show doc for our home and other ancestral properties.
    2. Show bank statements (India).
    3. Show proof that my sister is studying in India. (Do we need proof that she is unmarried?) Will it help?
    4. Show financial support doc from us.
    5. We also bought an apartment in India (on my name). Should we produce document for that too?
    5. Anything else?

Since my dad is no more, and 2 of us are abroad, do you think, we have any chance to get the visa. I am pretty skeptical at this point.

Thanks ia lot for your comments.

Yes, it will be hard for your mom because she is a widow
    and has 2 children settled abroad.

But there is no harm in trying at least once, since she can show a family
    tie in the form of your single sister. Also,it will be better if she is working (job or small business) and can show some occupational ties to India.

But be advised that the documents you mentioned only have secondary
    importance, and in a lot of cases will not even be looked at. The officers
    mainly decide on the basis of the answers to their questions.

These are the likely qs for your mom;

1. Why do you want to go?
    2. How many children do you have?
    3. Any children in INdia?
    4..When did you lose your husband?
    5.Does your son send you any money? ( This is a tricky question to find out
    if your mom is dependent on you financially) A yes answer will decrease the chances.
    6. For how long do you wish to go?( ask for a short stay like 2 months)
    If asked , why only 2 months--say she has to come back and be with her other daughter in INdia.
    7. Who is spending the money? ( I am. out of my life time savings. I have about----- lacs. Show a statement of assets by a CA showing a total of all deposits).

Originally posted by asinha
    Hi,

we want my mother to visit us in CA. She will be applying (first time) at Calcutta consulate. Pl advice me for expected questions (Do and donts). My situation is little problematic that my dad is no more. I have 2 sisters. Elder sister is settled in Toronto, while younger is studying in India (unmarried). We just received our green card too. I am thinking of following. pl advice for do's and don'ts. Also pl comment on what are our chances.

1. Show doc for our home and other ancestral properties.
    2. Show bank statements (India).
    3. Show proof that my sister is studying in India. (Do we need proof that she is unmarried?) Will it help?
    4. Show financial support doc from us.
    5. We also bought an apartment in India (on my name). Should we produce document for that too?
    5. Anything else?

Since my dad is no more, and 2 of us are abroad, do you think, we have any chance to get the visa. I am pretty skeptical at this point.

Thanks ia lot for your comments.

Comment

Hi,
      My mother recently went for her B2 visa appointment at Calcutta. She was the first one on the line and so she was the first to be called. Even I was worried as my dad passed away 4 years ago. They asked her the following questions:
      1) Why are you travelling alone to US, where is ur hus and when did he pass away.
      2) With whome do you stay in India?
      To which my mother answered -- My eldest son
      3) Then they were asking more questions about his job details.
      To which my mother started talking about his job, his wife's job and mentioned that only grand daughter is in India.
      No More questions were asked.

I think it all depends on how your mom answers, she should be convincing.
      Good Luck!!!

Comment

Thanks peace, Ash06 for your answers. Anyone else want to pitch in??

Peace, are you convinced if she says I am paying for her trip it will be reduce her chances..

Ash06, do they allow a companion inside consulate. Or your mom had to go alone??

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X