Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Answer to Question 38 in DS-156 form

Hi
    i am planning to bring my parents to US on Visitor's visa. They were falsely implicated in a dowry harassment case by my brother's wife and put in jail for almost 3 weeks. it's been almost an year since this has happened and the chargesheet for the same is not yet filed in the court. it is a known fact that the dowry laws have been widely misused and the US government has a travel warning for the same on their website.

i was wondering what should i answer to the question 38 in DS-156 form, which says "Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense". can someone tell me what will happen if i answer "No" to this question. i mean will there be any background check done by US consulate and also will there be any adverse consequences in future because of answering no to this question. Also what should i do if answer "Yes" to this question. i mean do they carry any court/legal documents when they go for visa interview. I appreciate if you could post as much detail as possible. Overall is it advisable to go visa stamping at this stage?

Thanks in advance for your time.

I am not sure about the consulate, but would like to share an experience

I was at the SP office for advance verification for passport - (part of procedure to get passport quick). While I was waiting there I heard a guy and police man talking about civil / criminal cases. The guy also came for advance verification but the police officer said they can't issue it as there is some case against him. That guy was wondering how the police there knew as the case was not in a near place, was another area of state etc. The police officer explained to him that they are started keeping the records in a central system and it is very easy to track it when needed. He said even minor cases are reported and entered in ther system and they can verify it.

Again, I am not sure, but I think they use it for passport, visa etc. So there is a chance that the consulate get the details (as they get a lot details from other sources).

Do not know what are all details you need to carry, but in my opinion it is better to show truth in the visa application forms.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X