Last Name CHange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Name CHange

I am trying to change my wifes last name to my first name. I have few questions related to the change. Please answer my questions. Your help will be much appreciated.

1. Can my wife have my first name as her last name ?
    Her name is Susi Chinna now. My name is Raj Sundar now. Can she change to Susi Raj ? or should it be only Susi Sundar (my last name) ?

2. What are the steps for this ? I think first step is passport ( which i am trying to do it now ). Whats the next step ? SS Card or her H1 - 797 form ? What are the other steps ?

3. I saw somewhere in this forum that we need Court order ? please let me know if we need to get Court order and if so how to do it ?

4. Will there be any complication in GC process later as her birth certificate will not have my name as her last name?

If anyone who have done this before might have answers to my queries. Thanks a ton in advance.

Raj

Friends, Can anyone answer the following query please . Even if you can give me some websites where i can get the information it would be gr8.

thanks,
    raj

Comment

Change names

Originally posted by Raj_Raj
      I am trying to change my wifes last name to my first name. I have few questions related to the change. Please answer my questions. Your help will be much appreciated.

1. Can my wife have my first name as her last name ?
      Her name is Susi Chinna now. My name is Raj Sundar now. Can she change to Susi Raj ? or should it be only Susi Sundar (my last name) ?

It can be whatever she wants it to be
      2. What are the steps for this ? I think first step is passport ( which i am trying to do it now ). Whats the next step ? SS Card or her H1 - 797 form ? What are the other steps ?

First step is passport, then the Driving License and SSN office
      3. I saw somewhere in this forum that we need Court order ? please let me know if we need to get Court order and if so how to do it ?

You dont need a court order when changing names due to Marriage but will need an notarized affidavit with a picture to change the name in passport and SSN For DL just the marriage certificate is enough
      4. Will there be any complication in GC process later as her birth certificate will not have my name as her last name?

I cant think of any woman born married with the married name on the BC so it is okay. You just list her maiden name in the other names used and maiden name column. Provide your marriage certificate as you would any in any case

If anyone who have done this before might have answers to my queries. Thanks a ton in advance.

Raj

Comment

Thanks waitin_toolong

Makes sense. Will go ahead. thanks a Ton.

Raj

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X