Help Required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Required

Myself and my wife are planning to apply for a Visitor visa. Our sponsoror is my Sister-in-law's(wife's sister) Brother-in-law.
    What relation should be mentioned in Form I-136? Should it be cousin?, relative? or Friend?
    Wife's visa application was rejected once in 2005 when she applied alone!
    Please help.
    Thanks

Originally posted by tvt
    Myself and my wife are planning to apply for a Visitor visa. Our sponsoror is my Sister-in-law's(wife's sister) Brother-in-law.
    What relation should be mentioned in Form I-136? Should it be cousin?, relative? or Friend?
    Wife's visa application was rejected once in 2005 when she applied alone!
    Please help.
    Thanks
    Cousin - Your relationship with your s-i-l's b-i-l CANNOT be described by the term 'cousin'.
    Relative - Sounds very vague so would not be acceptable.
    Friend - Having a friends as a sponsor is not convincing enough to the VO. Usually only immediate family i.e. parents/children/siblings are accepted as possible sponsors.

Your s-i-l's b-i-l might seem like a close relationship to many in our Indian society but it WILL NOT appear strong to the Americans - whatever term you used to describe it.

In these circumstances, I think it would make more sense for the two of you to sponsor yourselves.

What is more important is that you prove your strong economic/social ties to India and your intention to return. If you can sponsor yourselves and prove your intention to return you stand a chance of getting a visa.
    Last edited by smohanty; 03-24-2007, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks, but......

thanx Mr. Mohanty.
      Should I then specify that the trip will be paid by "self & XYZ(the relative)" since he will take care of us once we reach US or it must be "Self"?
      What are the chances of getting Visa for a self sponsored trip?
      We both are employed and holding senior positions, having two children(22,16), own flat in Pune & house at native with reasonable bank balance.
      I had atleast 8 overseas journey since last 10years, whereas my wife never travelled abroad.
      Do you think we have a chance to get a visitor visa?

Thanks in advance

Comment

You need to be able to show a good bank balance + property/land + jewelry + any other investments. If you can do that then go ahead and put in 'SELF' on the application. Even if your relative is going to take care of your expenses once you get to the U.S. since your ties to that relative do not appear strong by American standards, stick to the simple solution - self sponsership.

Hopefully the fact that both of you hold good jobs and the fact that your kids will remain in India during your U.S. visit will work in your favor during your visa interview.

As for what your chances are, like everyone else your chances of getting a visa are 50%. There have been cases where the VO has rejected applicants without looking at any documentation or without asking any serious/detailed questions. On the other hand VOs are also known to have granted visas without looking at any documentation or without asking any serious/detailed questions.

So all you can do is prepare your documents and yourselves to the best of your ability and hope lady luck is on your side.

Originally posted by tvt
        thanx Mr. Mohanty.
        Should I then specify that the trip will be paid by "self & XYZ(the relative)" since he will take care of us once we reach US or it must be "Self"?
        What are the chances of getting Visa for a self sponsored trip?
        We both are employed and holding senior positions, having two children(22,16), own flat in Pune & house at native with reasonable bank balance.
        I had atleast 8 overseas journey since last 10years, whereas my wife never travelled abroad.
        Do you think we have a chance to get a visitor visa?

Thanks in advance

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X