Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sister visa rejected - Next steps

Hi,

I wanted to call my sister (Age 17 - Study 2nd year Bsc) on tourist VISA. My parents already got the Touriest VISA last year. She had an appointment in March. The VISA was rejected because VO felt that she can come here and study. (Potential Immigrant)

I am thinking of following options. Please guide ..which one to choose. I am confused....

1> After 1 month, try through Tours and travels (Thomson Cook, Kesari) Would this give some kind of assurance to VO that she will be coming back?

2> Try to get US Senator letter confirming my backround. But this letter is tough to get unless we have some GOOD contacts

3> Just try one more time after a month and be aggressive in the interview.

4> Try after 6-12 months for stuent VISA instead of Visitor VISA.

Please help.

Regards
    Kd

1. She can try for an organized tour but othe organizers do not permit people to drop out of a tour once someone gets to the US and go and stay with their relatives. You see at the consulate the tour organizers are taking responsibility for the return of the tourists. Their reputation and their business is at stake. If they allow someone to visit their relatives during an organized tour and that person disappears the tour organizers will never be able to get visas for their tours again. So once people join a tour they have to travel everywhere with the tour. They cannot go your own way.

2. You can try for a senator's letter if you are so desperate to have her here. But it is a known fact that there is no guarantee that her application will be taken seriously simply because it is accompanied by a senator's letter. Firstly, there are many senators/congress people who do not give out randomly give out such letters unless there is someone with serious health problems etc. Secondly, I know people who had such genuine problems and got senators letters but those letters were completely ignored at the consulate. (For more details check out: https://www.immihelp.com/usa-visa-re...lication-tips/)

3. You could try but there is a possibility that if applicants reapply too soon and are too aggressive the consulate will assume that they are desperate to get to the US and then again their intention to return will come under doubt.

4. Sure, once she has completed 16 years of education in her home country, she can take her GRE general, GRE subject, TOEFL and apply for a student visa.
    But the fact remains that if you are planning on doing that then it is obvious that you are looking on getting your sister here for the long term. So then the consulate was correct in the first place to doubt her intention to return.

Comment

Options

Hi,

Thank you for the options. I think option 1 and 4 have better probability that the other two options. We really want to call my sister for summer vacation, because we are planning to go back for good after a year.
      What is your suggestion.....

1> Just a question....However, for option 1, wouldn't VO think that she is desperate to come to US if she applies again in 1-2 month's time?

Regards
      Kd

Comment

Originally posted by kbubane
        Hi,
        1> Just a question....However, for option 1, wouldn't VO think that she is desperate to come to US if she applies again in 1-2 month's time?

Regards
        Kd
        Yes, it is definitely possible that the VO assumes that she is desperate to come. You see most people who go on organized tours of the US are older. So they would treat younger people who have been rejected only 1-2 months earlier with some suspicion.

You also have to realize that somebody somewhere has already tried all these ideas in order to get to the US. The VOs know this fact and so they treat even genuine cases with suspicion.

It's funny and sad how we as human beings are never satisfied. If you look at this forum you will find that so many people are suffering from the disappointment of their parents' visa application being rejected. And in your case, the great news is that your parents managed to get visitors visas but you are now upset about your sister not getting a visa.

I think you should count your blessings that your parents were able to get visas. After all people of our parents' age cannot come here on student or work visas. They can only visit the US as visitors and only with our help. And yet so many of them are rejected.

Your sister is still young and even if she cannot come here as a visitor, she still has so many avenues open to get to the US - she can come here without your help in a couple of years as a student, through work (or even as many women come here - through marriage).

So you are welcome to try again for a visitor visa for her but please remember that if she happens to be rejected a second time and later tries for a student/work visa having 2 earlier rejections might perhaps prove a negative factor during her student/work visa interview.

So I think you should encourage your sister to do well at her studies so she can apply to US universities after her study in India. Through personal experience, the best way for young people with academic interests (I am not a doctor or engineer and yet had a very good academic record and so had absolutely no problems with getting my student visa) to get to the US is as students.
        Last edited by smohanty; 04-02-2007, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Sister Visa Rejected - Please Help

My sister who is student in India attended interview on april 16th and her visa got rejected. I sponsored for her and all the paper work was fine. It was rejected on the ground that she is a student(potential immigrant). she had presented her college id and letter, but still it was rejected.

1. can she apply again in May
          2. how many times can a visa be applied
          3. does reapplying affect her chances

I want to invite her for just 2 two months as its vacation there, please advise.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X