Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At Point of Entry

Hi,

Now that my mom got her visa, I now need some guidance for some questions asked at the Point of Entry and how she can get a 6 months stay. I did go thru the sample letter on Immihelp, but it may not apply to my situation. Also, is a letter necessary?

If someone could throw some light based on their experience what to expect at the Point of Entry will be great.

Thanks

Port of entry mainly contains Primary inspection and secondary inspection. Most people are cleared at primary inspection without any secondary inspecn. Those with suspicious documents, intent, or previous immigration violations are sent to secondary for detailed interviewing. At primary inspection, there is no time to check papers other than the passport and ticket, as there is long line to be cleared, but your mother must carry an invitation letter from you, ready with her passport and ticket, just in case it is asked for.

Two questions are asked of all visitors at primary inspection;

*What is your purpose of visit?
    *How long do you wish to stay?

In your mother's case the answers should be;

I am visiting my daughter and I will be here about 4-5 months.

Most first time visiting parents get a stamp for 6 months.

When she leaves the immigration counter , she must check her I -94 card for the correct visa classification (B2 in her case) and an expiry date. Some officers stamp an incorrect classification or forget to stamp the date. That can create serious problems later on.

Teach her to fill out an I -94 correctly( use a sample from the internet), as it is a very important document. It will be given to her by the steward(ess) right before landing.
    Last edited by peace; 04-26-2007, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Thank you so much for your advice and this definitely answers all my questions.

PS: Based on your advice I had told my mom what to say at the Consulate when asked "why is your husband not coming with you" and it worked out to be the best.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by peace
        Port of entry mainly contains Primary inspection and secondary inspection. Most people are cleared at primary inspection without any secondary inspecn. Those with suspicious documents, intent, or previous immigration violations are sent to secondary for detailed interviewing. At primary inspection, there is no time to check papers other than the passport and ticket, as there is long line to be cleared, but your mother must carry an invitation letter from you, ready with her passport and ticket, just in case it is asked for.

When she leaves the immigration counter , she must check her I -94 card for the correct visa classification (B2 in her case) and an expiry date. Some officers stamp an incorrect classification or forget to stamp the date. That can create serious problems later on.

Teach her to fill out an I -94 correctly( use a sample from the internet), as it is a very important document. It will be given to her by the steward(ess) right before landing.
        Hi there, i was browsing some info re visitor visa since my mother was fortunate to be granted by the embassy in the philippines for a multiple entry (10 yrs) last week. she is 69 yo and will be travelling by herself first time here in the USA to visit me her daughter, my hubby and my kids and of course her brothers and sister as well. When the immigration officer in her POE which is Los Angeles asked her the purpose of her visit, can she answer those above i mentioned? Lastly, do you have any idea where i could see how I-94 looks like on the internet? I need to know and learn this thing so I could teach my mother on what to do and how to fill this out.

Thanks so much.

Comment

midwestgurl

Yes, your mom can use the above replies.
          You can find a picture of the completed and immigration stamped I-94
          at
          https://www.immihelp.com/sample-paper-i-94-form/

Comment

A Quick quesiton on the invitation letter that my mom needs to carry. Is the same letter I sent to her when she went her visa at the Consulate or do i need to prepare a separate one. Also can i scan and send it to her ? Somebody is going to India in June before my my comes here, so if i need to send her an original it would be nice if you could respond soon so i can send the document with her.

Thanks

Last edited by dolly_jiten; 05-09-2007, 03:01 PM.

Comment

The letter she used at the embassy will do.

Comment

Thank you for your assistance.

The letter she used at the embassy will do.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X