B2 Visa expiration date & returning to the U.S before visa expires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2 Visa expiration date & returning to the U.S before visa expires

My mother-in-law came to the U.S to visit us on a B2 visa. She received a multi-entry, 1 year visa, and the visa’s expiration date is Oct. 4, 2007.

She entered the U.S in December, 2006, and stayed with us until May 11, 2007, so she left before her 6 months duration of stay is up. She plans to come back sometimes in August this year. My questions are:

1. Will she run into any trouble upon reentering the U.S the second time using the same multi entry visa? I’m kind of worried given the fact that she stayed for more than 5 month the first time, and coming back shortly after she left (less than 3 months).
    2. If she is admitted to enter the U.S this time. How long her duration of stay will be? Will the immigration officer give her a less than 6 month stay on her I-94?

Thanks for your answer!!

your worry is justifed. She will most likely be questioned in the secondary inspection area why she returned so quickly after staying 6 months. It clearly shows an immigrant intent. If they do not send her back , she will not
    get 6 months that is for sure.

Another very important implication of this is she will not get another visa
    after this one expires. There are several reports attesting to such a consequence.

If she wants another visa after this one expires, I strongly suggest she
    abandon her planned trip.

Comment

Thanks Peace for the answer

Peace, you did mention "several reports attesting to such a consequence."

Can you kindly direct me to these reports, do you have their URLs?

Thanks again!

Comment

I am sorry I do not have their URLs. You may have to search. I am a long time poster on this forum , so I know this does happen and you can trust me.

And it is quite logical too;

The reason they give you a one year visa and not a 10 year visa is to see how you use it and decisons on any subsequent visa applications will depend on its usage. The way your MIL is using it clearly shows she would like to spend the max time in US ( immigrant intent) which is directly in conflict with the provisions of a visitor visa.
        Last edited by peace; 05-30-2007, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by simonbirch702000
          Peace, you did mention "several reports attesting to such a consequence."

Can you kindly direct me to these reports, do you have their URLs?

Thanks again!
          I agree with peace.One instance I read ^giving one week time of stay and advising not to visit for another for some time even in a case of 10 year M visa

Comment

Thanks Peace and Cone

Thanks Peace and Cone.

I didn’t doubt you, Peace; I was simply trying to obtain as much info as possible.

The thing is, my MIL came when my wife and I had our first baby, and she stayed here for close to 6 months to help us take care of the baby. Not only did the baby grow quite attached to her, but the two of us kinda grow dependent on her --- with both of us working, it’s really nice to have someone you can trust to take care of a newborn.

We were kind of hoping that my MIL can come back for another 6 month, by then our child will be over one year old and be sent to daycare.

The truth is, we don’t want her to stay longer than 6 months next time, it’s a very tiring ‘job’ and neither one of think it’s fair for her to give up her active social life and come here to be our servant! It’s just we really need some help right now with taking care of the baby.

Thanks all.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X