Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother got Visa on first attempt at Chennai - Thanks to Immihelp

Hi,
    Many thanks to this forum and all its members. I cannot express how helpful this forum was in preparing my Mom for the interview.My mom got her Visa today(first attempt) at the Chennai consulate. The following was my experience and hope it will help others.

Background:
    ------------
    My mom is 62 years old, widowed. I am her only son and I also have 2 sisters back in India. She has no income. She has her own house in Bangalore. I came to US 5 months ago on L1 visa. I support all her expenses back in India and she had virtually no bank balance. She used to stay with my sister(few days a week) during the last 5 months. Both my sisters are married and live in India with families.

Preparation:
    -------------
    Since I though that her case was weak, I had to make sure that we are very well prepared.
    - Prepared my mom for every possible question that might be asked and I took mock interviews for her pretty much everyday for the last 1 month. Got the questions by studying the cases on this forum.
    - Arranged all the documents needed
    - Deposited 1 lakh in her account 1 month before the interview.
    - Since she is 62 years old and has leg problems and could not have possibly waited too long in the queue, I had to make sure that she gets a early morning slot. I noticed that VFS opens new appointment(7 new days) every week either on friday or monday. I waited for this time and took an appointment as soon as they opened new appointment dates and as expected got a 7:30AM interview.

- Even tough she is not very fluent in english, I took an english appointment, but prepared her well enough with lot of practice which helped her do well. I noticed that regional language interviews sometimes can result in refusals probably because of incorrect translations or inept indian labguage speaking VO's. I gave her so much practice that even if she could make out some key words, she would what question it was and could answer confidently.

- Told her to be confident but casual.

Interview:
    -------------
    She went to the consulate at 7AM and I had told her to tell the guard there that she is 62 years old and needed help. She did so and she was let in immediately.

VO: How many children do you have?
    Mom: 3 children. My son in USA and the others here in India.

VO: Whats your income?
    Mom: I dont have any income, but I get rent from my own house.

VO: Do you own a house?
    Mom: Yes

VO: Where?
    Mom: xxx location in Bangalore.

VO: Where do you live?
    Mom: With my daughter and her family at their house.

VO: Tell me the address where you live
    Mom: xxx

VO: Do you have your son's birth certificate?
    Mom: Yes (Tried to remove it from the bag)

VO: Its ok. Dont remove anything from your bag

VO: How long do you want to go?
    Mom: 2 Months.

VO: We will send your visa by courier.
    Mom: Thanks you

No documents were asked or seen. We dont know whether its a 10 Year visa, but hoping it will be. This is a great forum and I will look forward to help others from my experience.

Congratulations!
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X