Valid B1 Visa - Spoilt by Passport office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valid B1 Visa - Spoilt by Passport office

I have a rather unfortunate situation. I have a valid 10 year US Visa on which I have travelled twice before. Last year, I had given my passport for renewal and got issued a new passport. I expected to travel to US this week using my old + new passport and the visa stamped on my old passport (this is standard procedure). Now, I did not make a big notice of the fact that the Passport office (probably due to clerical negligence) drew a line across my valid US Visa page.

At the airport, immigration stopped me because of this line. Although the visa was easily machine readable, they said I would have to get a letter issued from the consulate before I could travel. When I went to the consulate, they told me outright at the window to apply for a fresh visa. So, I am resigned to waiting a couple of months now and get a fresh visa.

My question to this forum is whether anyone has encountered this situation where a valid visa has been erroneously crossed out. Does the consulate create any issues around this? Is there an easier way, like getting a duplicate visa printed on the passport?

Any insights will be appreciated.

Best regards.

This is very unfortunate.

I have not heard about this before.

If the consulate people told you to apply for fresh visa, you would have to do so.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X