Tourist visa for sister-help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourist visa for sister-help!

I am on H4 visa. I want my younger sister to visit me.
    My younger sister is married and is working in India.
    Her husband is not interested in visiting US.
    My husband who is on H1B will be providing the affidavit of support for her.

Can you pls advise me any other documents that might help smoothen the visa process for her?

I have read about husband sponsoring parents-in-law, but not sister-in-law, thats why I ask.

Thanks!
    Priya

Please post more info for correct advice;

*Does she have any children?
    *Is she working in the private or the govt sector? What is her annual salary?
    *Where is her husband working? What is his annual salary?
    *Do they have any property in INdia?
    * How long have you been in US?

Comment

*Does she have any children?
      No, she got married 1 year ago.

*Is she working in the private or the govt sector? What is her annual salary?
      She works with a MNC having head office in NY.
      Her annual salary is INR 400,000.(Around US$10,000).That is decent middle class income in India.

*Where is her husband working? What is his annual salary?
      He works for an Indian company with similar salary.

*Do they have any property in India?
      No, they dont have any property in India. But if you ask so she can establish ties to the homecountry, how abt the fact that she has a job, her husband will be staying back in India and my parents are there?

* How long have you been in US?
      My husband and I have been here since Feb'05.

Comment

ok , great.

Please understand that sponsorship, which actually means providing financial support (I-134, affidavit of support) for the applicant, is not mandatory for a visitor visa if the applicant can show enough funding at home country.
        And, an applicant showing personal funds has a better chance than someone showing an affidavit of support. This is because it shows the applicant's good
        financial standing at home country which means he/she will return. And it will
        have importance in your sister's case since she has no children or property in India ( additional ties ).

In your sister's case, the combined family income ( 8 lacs per year) is good enough to show funding for one person's trip and her husband not going
        is another + factor in her favour.

Let you ( not your husband) send her an invitation letter addressed to the consular, US embassy/consulate , explaining that you are in US on this visa
        since this date and you wish to invite your sister for a short trip ( 2-3 months; it should match the leave granted by her employer). And that you
        request the consular to grant a visitor visa. Also send a copy of your passsport and visa . And evidence that you are both sisters ( birth certificates showing parents' names, pictures).
        NO NEED TO SEND an I-134.

When aked about funding part , she should say both herself and her husband are financing the trip and she should state both their combined income and not her income alone. She should carry both their salary slips, or IT returns
        and evidence of other savings. Get a CA's letter, stating the net worth of bothif it is good; insurance policies, mutual funds, shares, bank deposits,
        savings a/cs.
        Last edited by peace; 08-10-2007, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks so much!
          Somehow I was under the impression that an affidavit of support was a better way to go. My logic was that uscis now knows someone in the US is willing to take financial responsibilty for her and she will definitely not be a burden on the country.
          But you have a point too.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X