Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving in USA on tourist visa

Hi,

My parents got their visa after being rejected twice in the past one year. We would like to bring them here by end of September. But my question is whether a person who is coming to USA on tourist Visa can drive using the "Internation Driving Permit" or not. My dad is well aquainted with left side driving, so he has no problems in driving around here.....except that we are worried about the rules. Can someone please help me?

Thanks,
    Udaya

Yes they can, they have to present an unexpired home country license as well. The only issue might be insurance.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the quick response. Re: Isurance - Are we not allowed to take vehicle insurance for them or would it be too expensive?

Comment

Which state is he visiting?

I strongly suggest you check the website of dept of motor vehicles of your state. In most states the international permit is useless. But some states will let you drive on your local indian license on a visitor visa.

If he plans to drive across state lines; he must know the license laws of that state as well.

Let him carry good health insurance for visitors from an american company in case there is an accident. That is very important.

Comment

He is visiting Connecticut. I will check the DMV website. I appreciate your valuable suggestions.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X