B2 Visa with Annotation "2 weeks stay" only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2 Visa with Annotation "2 weeks stay" only

My husband and I were granted 6 months, single entry B2 US Visa (Sept 2007 to March 2008) with annotation "Couple December planned 2 weeks stay in California". In our application, we stated 2 weeks, that was their basis for the annotation. But do we have to strictly follow the annotation even if we have 6 months visa? Plans do change depending on the circumstances. Does that mean we have to go to US exactly in December and exactly for 15 days? Supposed we go there with back and forth tickets with the following dates-Arrival December 16, 2007 and Departure January 3, 2008, a total of 18 days, which is more than 2 weeks. Will that be allowed by the US Immigration at the port of entry considering the annotation "2 weeks stay"? We chose those days because tickets are cheaper and if we move it 1 day ahead or later, there's a big price difference.

First of all your 6 month visa does not mean that you are allowed a 6 month stay. The validity period of the visa does not mean how long you are allowed to stay. Most B-2 Visitor visas are allowed to stay up to 6 months. NO MORE.

Now, your visa also does not guarantee you entry to the US. It merely gives you the privilege of applying for entry to the USA. You will be inspected by an Immigration Officer and he/she will make the ruling in whether you will be allowed to stay or not, and for how long.

Most people receive B1/B2 10 year long visas... (which again does not mean they can stay in the US for 10 years, only up to 6 months, each separate visit). So you two receiving a limited visa, would generally mean that the Consular Officer was not very convinced, enough to give you two a 10 year long visa. That is not a good sign, there is probably more in their internal system than just that annotation on the visa.

So, my suggestion is... even though you can travel to the US and apply for entry at ANYTIME while the visa is valid. You should not attempt to stay more than what you originally requested.

Of course, you can present yourself to the Immigration Officer at the Port of Entry state your plans and hope that he/she just gives you a normal/default 6 months stay... or you can always mention to him/her that you had to purchase a different date on the tickets and now you will stay 18 days and show him/her the return tickets... but is all up to you.
    Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X