Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unaccompanied parents not fluent in English

Hi,

My mom is traveling alone for the first time to US, she is not very fluent in English and i am worried about how she will interact with the immigration officer in US. Are there translators available at SFO airport to help non english speaking people, if not what is the best way to handle this situation.

Just ask another Indian standing in line to help her with translation.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Absolutely

IMMIHELP is absolutely correct, you can ask another person of your home country to help her out.

Many times other people themselves chip in and translate for newcomers or those who don't understand the officer's language or accent.

We've helped quite a few people every time we return to the US from abroad.

That's the least of your worries, ask your family not to be concerned, just smile and be very pleasant.

With best regards.

Comment

We ourselves saw the IO calling us(me and my wife who were standing in queue) to help him when he did not understand what the lady was saying at POE Counter. She was speaking in Hindi and the IO could not understand what she was saying. We translated what she said to IO and she got 6 months stay. This happened on 12th Dec 2007 at Chicago Intl Airport.
        So nothing to worry at POE

Comment

Yes, I have myself also seen immigration officer asking people in line to come forward and help translate for the ones who don't understand English. (Shouting: Can anyone translate what she is saying????)

Therefore, no problems.
          Immihelp Support
          No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

I speak ....

.... cards/lapels may be a thing for future considerations for multi-lingual people arriving at POE.

Lapels like "I speak Hindi, English, Marathi, Gujarati, Spanish, Tamil, German, Gibberish, American English, Canadian ??!!"

Take care.

Comment

thanks everybody

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X