Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter to immigration officer

Hello,
    My parents are travelling to US on Feb 6th. As we wouldnt know for how long the immigration office would stamp on their visa, how advisable it would be to write a letter to the immigration officer requesting 6 months of stay ? is it ok to write a letter to the immi officer ??? please advise and appreciate immediate reply from someone.

Thanks

it is up to your parents to convince the officer at the port of entry. a letter from you requesting 6 months, probably will do more harm than good. 6 months is a VERY LONG time for a visit.

it is the amount of time given by default, but if you ask for it, you probably won't get it.
    Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

I'm just sharing my experience.. I've never sent a letter to the Immigration Off. yet, my parents/in-laws have been given 6 months every time they visited -infact they never stayed that long.

I think the *trick* is not to appear over-eager. Appearing too eager might make the travelers tense which may make the IO cautious. If you are sending a letter, may be a good idea not to be too specific.

Good luck!

Comment

We landed in Chicago airport on 12.12. 2007. The IO asked us how many months you want to stay. I told him 6 months. He granted 6 months.
        Normally they issue 6 months stay if you have not over stayed in your earlier visit. If you come to USA more often without establishing your root in your home country, then the IO has the liberty to enquire your intention of stay and grant the stay permit as he sees.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X