out of status and marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• out of status and marriage

Please help me, I need good idea and solution.
    I am visa B2 holder, in US. My doughter is with me, she is 8 years old and she has B2 visa too.She is from my first marriage. We arrived to US in july of 200.
    Our I-94 are expired in januar of 2008. We applied for extension our staying.
    USCIS denied our I-539. We got 30 days for depart. So, we are out of status now.
    I married here on 04.10.2008.My husband is R-1 visa holder. His R-1 visa is valid until 2010. We would like to live together in US. My questions:
    1. There is any way to adjust our status in US or we have to travel home and apply for R-2 visas?
    2. My daughter from my first marriage is eligible for R-2 visa?
    3. My daughter goes to public school here. Is it problem?
    4. Can we get R-2 visas altough we were out of status? (within 120 days)

Thank you in advance your answers.

The only way to adjust status if you are out of status is through marriage to a US citizen.
    Since you are married to an R1, you cannot adjust status.
    Even if you stay illegal in US and your husband receives a green card in future, you will not be able to adjust status.

I suggest you leave US before your out of status period is 180 days.

*If your out of status period is more than 180 days they will not even give you an R2 at the embassy because you will incur a 3 yr ban to any kind of visa.

*If your out of status period is more than one year you will incur a ten year ban to any kind of visa.

Yes, your daughter is eligible for an R2.
    Public schooling is not a problem.

Before traveling home , talk to a good attorney.
    Last edited by peace; 04-28-2008, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Dear Peace, thank you for answers. We will leave US in time. Our out of status period is 115 days.
      Soraya

Comment

*Keep a copy of your I-94s before depositing with the airline.
        *Save your boarding passes and your passports to prove at a later date the date of your departure.

Comment

Originally posted by peace
          *Keep a copy of your I-94s before depositing with the airline.
          *Save your boarding passes and your passports to prove at a later date the date of your departure.

Hi Peace, thank you for your advice again. Consul asked our boarding passes. We got R-2 visas.
          Soraya

Comment

Originally posted by soraya
            Hi Peace, thank you for your advice again. Consul asked our boarding passes. We got R-2 visas.
            Soraya
            Congratulations. Make sure you still keep that evidence, including when you show up at the POE in the USA.
            Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X