Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• query reg. port of entry

hi,
    i have got 3 months single entry visa to usa.at the POE,can i ask for full three months stay?will they give it?bec. i wanted to to observership in us hospital.my cs exam date is on june 6.i am starting here by 14.if i stay there for three months will it affect my further visa intervies?

Do not make the mistake of asking 3 months. Recently a poster's 10 yr visa was canceled because he asked for 6 months on his second entry.

They will ask you the purpose of visit and duration of stay;
    just say you have come to take a test and you will be staying about 2-3 weeks.

*You cannot say more than that because a longer stay does not match the purpose of visit which is taking the test.

* You cannot say observership because it is not technically allowed on a
    B1/B2 visa.( People secretly do it inside US but it is illegal). It will be misinterpreted as your intention to work on a visitor visa and your visa will be canceled and you will be sent back.

IF YOU SAY 2-3 WEEKS TO TAKE A TEST, IT IS VERY LIKELY THAT YOU WILL BE GIVEN A 3 MONTH STAY. BUT DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF STAYING 3 MONTHS IF YOU ARE PLANNNING TO APPLY FOR ANOTHER VISITOR VISA. YOU SHOULD ONLY THINK ABOUT A 3 MNTH OBSERVERSHIP IF YOU ARE NOT PLANNING TO APPLY FOR ANOTHER B1/B2 BUT WILL GO STRAIGHT FOR
    AN H-1
    Last edited by peace; 05-05-2008, 05:49 AM.

Comment

thanks sir for the timely information.i booked my ticket starting here on 17 may and return ticket on july 15.my Q is will they ask for my return ticket there?if i say 3 weeks and show my ticket as july 15 this is contradicting?so what should i do now?even if they give me 3 months stay,i am staying there for 2 months only.is this a overstay?kindly help me.

Comment

They usually do not look at the ticket, but you never know, each officer is different so he may ask to look at the ticket. I suggest , to be on the safe side, get the return date on the ticket changed.

If they give you 3 months and you stay all 3 months it is not overstay but
        you will have problems getting another visa at India. The visa officer will look at your stay and may presume immigrant intent since you stayed all the period that was allowed. Even 2 months would not be acceptable because they gave you a short visa to test your stay.

Comment

I would say to keep your return ticket as is and mention that you are returning on XYZ date. If they want you to leave earlier and give you an I-94 that expires earlier, you can change the date of the ticket later on.

Good Luck!

And remember, no contradicting information. Makes sure all ducks are lined up and if you mess up, you may be in trouble.

My opinion on the dutation of visa was the VO made sure you could enter just for your exam, not later on and misuse it as the visa is just an entry document. The stay is determined by the POE officer and can vary between 30 days to 6 months. Once you get the I-94, the visa expiry date has no use as all that matters is the I-94 DOE.
          Last edited by txh1b; 05-06-2008, 09:29 AM.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X