X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding length of stay

Hello,

Please help answer the following questions when asked at the POE:

What about second time visitors within a span of three months and six months?
    What should they state the length of their visit when asked at the POE?
    Any specific reason to state?

Thanks for your help!

People. There are no "*****" answers for the POE officers...

You must have a defined purpose for your trip, and a defined time frame for that purpose. We can't tell you "what to say". There is no point in trying to "make something up". Tell the truth and have a plan (tickets, itinerary, hotel bookings, etc).

Any visitor should not spend more than 6 out of 12 months in the USA in a 12 month rolling window. Otherwise you are risking to be flagged as a potential immigrant and that will result in secondary inspections, harder questioning, restricted I-94s.
    Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

Don't you have a specific reason for travelling all the way from the other side of the globe? Strange

Comment

Well, my parents were here in december for a short stay of 6 weeks and my mom is coming back in July for my delivery.
        That is the reason i'm asking the question and the visitors do not have any intention in being an immigrant. Also, typically pregnancy is not stated as a reason. Please answer if you can without any sarcasm (esp orion).

Thanks!

Comment

I totally agree, IMMIHELP has been a great help , but now when I read the forums, some senior members keeps being sarcastic and thinks everyone is dying of being US citizens and overstaying in the US. People came here to ask questions and get help not to be pointed fingers at and get ridiculed.

Comment

Since she was here briefly, she is likely to have few problems.

You must realize that in the US, 6 month "vacations" are unheard of especially for people with jobs and homes to care for.

Additionally, since a typical maternity leave is 6 weeks, parents would not come to visit a newborn for 6 months. That length of a visit can only be understood as babysitting. A typical visit would be a week or two since the arrival of a child is an event with the child's mother and father and not an extended family affair. Since you are in the US, when questions like this are asked, you are judged to US standards not whatever is the norm in you home country.

You are adults; two parents can certainly care for an infant without help. If you are concerned, there are child care courses at most hospitals and parent-child centers. I assure you from experience, that babies don't break, and you will know instinctively what you need to know. If she/they can't come, everything will be OK. Quite frankly, you will be better off if your mother/parents don't come because mom's tend to step in to take over when it is your home and child. You need to get used to lack of sleep since with children, you won't get a good nights sleep until they move out.

Finally, your original question was interpreted as "what is the best lie to tell at POE to gain admission?" This may not have been what you intended to ask, but is how it was interpreted because this is asked repeatedly on this forum. The frequent posters/senior members of this forum will not advise anyone to do anything illegal or anything that is inappropriate. If it seems rude, then you haven't done your homework and read the forum before posting because your question has been asked time and time again.

Comment

Originally posted by df94703
              People came here to ask questions and get help not to be pointed fingers at and get ridiculed.
              That is definitely not true. If the poster wants to hear a sugar-coated answer for every question, it is not possible. Also, some posters get upset if they do not get to hear what they wanted to hear.

As members of a forum that deals with immigration, it is always in our best interest to be guided along the path of the *right* and *legal* things to do than suggest work-arounds to bypass the legal system.

I try my best not to be rude but no sugar coated answers from me! Why is that people come here asking about generating paystubs to maintain H1b status? working on H4? Parents lying about children present in US? lying about pregnancies? Going to Canada to get an extension I-94? All these things are PLAIN ILLEGAL and could result in a permanent ban!

Though it might be true that a person needs the family to be with them during pregnancies due to lack of experience, it is not legally allowed and has to be followed. Senior members should not suggest illegal things to people. That is the minimum requirement for the immigration forum to be successful and also have couple of members that know what they are talking about, some others to correct them if they are wrong. After all people are human and not everyone is a whiz in immigration matters pertaining to all areas.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Sorry but in most parts of the world the birth of the child is an affair for the whole family, that includes grandparents as well as uncle and aunts.

We have seen the decline of values here in USA which defines the family as mom dad and child. People have to turn to books and internet to get help on raising a child and get all kinds of erronoues info. you need experienced people around to help guide you in raising the child, that is not baby sitting that is helping take care of the whole family.
                I assume you have not raised a child yet.

Originally posted by C4us
                Since she was here briefly, she is likely to have few problems.

You must realize that in the US, 6 month "vacations" are unheard of especially for people with jobs and homes to care for.

Additionally, since a typical maternity leave is 6 weeks, parents would not come to visit a newborn for 6 months. That length of a visit can only be understood as babysitting. A typical visit would be a week or two since the arrival of a child is an event with the child's mother and father and not an extended family affair. Since you are in the US, when questions like this are asked, you are judged to US standards not whatever is the norm in you home country.

You are adults; two parents can certainly care for an infant without help. If you are concerned, there are child care courses at most hospitals and parent-child centers. I assure you from experience, that babies don't break, and you will know instinctively what you need to know. If she/they can't come, everything will be OK. Quite frankly, you will be better off if your mother/parents don't come because mom's tend to step in to take over when it is your home and child. You need to get used to lack of sleep since with children, you won't get a good nights sleep until they move out.

Finally, your original question was interpreted as "what is the best lie to tell at POE to gain admission?" This may not have been what you intended to ask, but is how it was interpreted because this is asked repeatedly on this forum. The frequent posters/senior members of this forum will not advise anyone to do anything illegal or anything that is inappropriate. If it seems rude, then you haven't done your homework and read the forum before posting because your question has been asked time and time again.

Comment

There are different points of view and everyone is correct up to some extent. There are merits in each side of arguments.

FYI: Even US consulates very well know that many of the parents come for daughter/daughter-in-law's delivery and post delivery care. (Look at their emergency appointment criteria: You can't apply for emergency appointment if your daughter's delivery date is coming soon.)

Therefore, I kindly request everyone to remain cordial.
                  Immihelp Support
                  No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X