Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa issued for one year

Hi,
    My mom recently went for an interview at the Kolkatta consulate and she got the visa. But she got it for only one year.Her visa expires in June 2009. How soon can she apply for one again?

Thanks

VOs do that as a check. If she travels once and returns without overstaying, she will get a 10 year one next time when she applies for it. She can apply after the current visa expires.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

One more doubt

Thanks a lot for the quick response !!

I have one more question. She is planning to travel in May 2009 to U.S. If the immigration officer at the POE gives 6 months(till Nov 2009) of stay on her I-94, is it OK for her to stay in the US even after her Visa expires(June 2009)?

Comment

Yes, Visa is just an entry ticket. I-94 determines the duration of stay.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Yes, she can stay until the I-94 date. But I would not recommend staying all of 6 months even if granted.

Comment

It is true for a first time visitor not to stay full 6 months even if I94 is given for a 6 months stay. When your mother applies for her visa 2nd time, the VO will consider this factor and grant her full 10 years visa.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X