Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tourist visa for mother of U.S. Citizen ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourist visa for mother of U.S. Citizen ?

Hello,

[My post is a little long; please bear with me. I thank you for your time]

I am an United States citizen and my mother is a citizen of India residing in
    Chennai. She wishes to visit me and would like to make a trip to the United States some time in 2009. She will need a nonimmigrant tourist visa (B2) for this.

Various people, including an immigration attorney and an USCIS officer, have advised us that, since I am a citizen, any nonimmigrant visa application made
    by my mother at the Chennai Consulate will most likely be rejected. These people counseled us to abandon the nonimmigrant visa route altogether and start the green card application process for my mother so that she can enter the country as an immigrant.

My mother, however, has no intention of staying in the U.S. long-term and is
    opposed to the idea of applying for a green card. She feels, justifiably so, that all she wants is to visit and a tourist visa is what she needs.

My question is this: if she explains clearly to the consular officer that even
    though her son is an U.S. Citizen, she has no intention of immigrating, do you think there is a decent chance that her nonimmigrant visa application will be successful ? She is a widower and does not have fixed assets such as immovable property that are usually used to show ties to the home country. She stays with my sister who lives in Chennai and helps take care of my infant niece, as is customary in India.

There is one more point which needs to be mentioned: my mother previously held a 10 year multiple-entry B1 visa. During her last visit to the U.S., she accompanied my sister, who was in L1 status and working for a company in Indiana. Due to ignorance, she applied for an extension of stay citing care for my niece as the reason for requesting extension. She was unaware that such child care was considered employment under Section 8 C.F.R 214.1(e) of immigration law. Her application to extend her stay was denied and her B1 visa was automatically voided as per Section 222(g) of immigration law.

Grandparents taking care of grandchildren while the parents work is common in Indian society where the concept of daycare is frowned upon. She, being from a different culture, did not realize that such care was not permitted under the terms of her visa. It is a rather strange rule and even experts such as immigration lawyers had to look it up in a reference text.

It is worth noting that (1) she left as soon as she got application to extend stay was rejected and she in fact was out of status for only about 14 days. (2) She has visited the U.S. on two separate occasions before this, in 2002 and again in 2003.

In both instances, she did not violate any visa rules and promptly left after
    staying for about 2 months.

Thank you for your time. I will be very grateful for any responses. I've been in the U.S. academic system for over 12 years and I can answer questions related to funding, F1 visas etc.
    Last edited by ashokr; 07-07-2008, 04:01 PM.

please remove your personal information from the post. it is not a good idea to provide such info on a public forum.
    Last edited by PraetorianXI; 07-07-2008, 02:49 PM.
    Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

She'll need to be vocal in her interview to impart to the consular officer that even though her son is a citizen, she does not intend to immigrate. Also, ask her to tell that you were siggesting processsing a immigrant application, but she was fine with a visit visa 'coz she does not need to immigrate. Family photos with whom she lives may help.

Her extension denial and being out of status in the past are negative points in her application though.

Comment

Praetorian, you just quoted his personal information, you'll have to remove it too

Comment

Originally posted by orion
          Praetorian, you just quoted his personal information, you'll have to remove it too
          lol
          Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

Orion: Thank you for your input. It is much appreciated.

Pretorian: I've removed my private data. I do not post too much on public forums and I am a little rusty as to the etiquette. Thank you for steering me in the right direction.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X