Getting an Emergency appointment - Delhi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting an Emergency appointment - Delhi

Many thanks to this forum and all the helpful advice we've gotten here so far. My husband and I have been working on getting a visitor visa for my MIL. We gathered all the documentation together months ago, and thought that the next step--getting the appointment--would be the easy part. Boy, were we wrong. For more than six months now we have been trying at all hours of the day and night, almost every day (including the times people have suggested here) and have not ever seen any available dates.

My husband's PhD graduation is in December, and the purpose of my MIL's visit is to come to his graduation. Apparently attending a graduation counts as an emergency at the Delhi consulate. However, even then we have not been able to get any available dates. Here on immihelp I saw something about walk-in appointments. Does anyone know if that would be possible? Can my MIL go to the consulate and try to get a walk-in emergency appointment? We're starting to feel desperate and we're running out of time. Help!

Trying for 6 months and not getting an appointment? That can't be true.

What is your status and your husband's? Sounding desperate reduces the chances of a visitor visa. I am not aware of walkin appointments other than for life or death special situations.

If you have an emergency due to a death in your family or an urgent medical emergency, you can try for a 'walk-in' emergency appointment. You should come to the U.S Embassy, New Delhi, U.S. Consulate, Chennai, or U.S. Consulate, Mumbai between 8:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. and bring with you the following items:

https://www.immihelp.com/usa-visas/e...nts-india.html

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

You are vastly overstating the importance of a graduation ceremony in the US.

Comment

"Vastly overstating the importance of a graduation ceremony in the US."

Actually, I'm not overstating it. It *IS* really important. And I can say that because I am American myself, not Indian. My undergrad and grad school graduations were very important milestones for my own family--people attended my graduations and sent gifts, etc. Why should my husband's graduation be any different? My own grandparents and parents will be attending *his* graduation too. A PhD is something to be really proud of!!

I am an American citizen, and my husband is Indian and a green card holder. And yes, we have been trying for 6 months. We've gone through times when we tried every day for a while, and then we'd get discouraged and not try as much for several days. But we have been trying for that long. Seems like we just have bad luck or something.

Comment

The consulate opens appointments in batches. Many times, there are lot of last minute dropouts. I have always found available appointments two days away from the current date due to drops.

You have to be persistent and not give up and try at random as you would be missing the boat everytime they open the appointments.

Husband being a GC holder and you being a citizen are all negatives and your in-law(s) have to show very strong familial and financial ties to the home country to get the visa and get past the immigrant intent assumption that VOs are forced to make on every B2 visa applicant.

Good Luck!

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

My husband and children have PhDs working on a JD not to count the MSs. Within the family are numerous other MSs, PhDs, and MDs. One day does not make a lifetime. Work obligations have kept children from attending own ceremonies. The military does not care if you are graduating if they want you somewhere on that date.

Once you have lived with family members gone for months at a time, missing big events like the birth of their own child or worrying if the groom will be home in time for the wedding, you can put things into perspective. Any day of the year when a distant family member is home is a holiday in my house.

Comment

Thanks. I just called the office of my congressman and spoke to someone there. They told me that they are going to call the State Department and find out if there is anything they can do to help. I'll also keep trying some more the way that you suggested, txh1b.

Comment

Woooooo-hooooo!!!!! I got Mummy an appointment today!!! It's on November 7, and luckily that's when we will be there visiting India anyway. Wish us luck (because of course nothing is certain until after the interview)!!!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X