Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K3 Visa and Green Card

Hello, and thanks for your site,

I'm an American citizen married to a South Korean. We were married in Korea over two years ago, and have not spent more than 3 months at a time in the states since, so never filled for a green card. We both work for a non-profit NGO and with churches, so our income is small and inconsistent. We've been working in China for the past couple of years, and have just moved to Thailand in hopes to wait out the visa/green card process in a cheaper country. We did this based on information by a lawyer in Korea, who said that we shouldn't have many problems applying for a Green Card overseas(out of Korea).

After moving to Thailand I'm now being told by the US embassy that we need to have been living here for a year before we can apply here. A lawyer is even telling us we need to go back to Korea! I'm wondering what our options are, and I think I've learned a bit from your site, so maybe I'll throw a couple ideas out there and maybe you can tell me if they'll work? Can we enter the country on a tourist Visa, and in the valid time of the visa apply for an adjustment of status? We just want to be in the States, we're tired and are running out of money, I need to go home and work but we want to be together. Even if we waited in Korea, which is expensive, I can't legally work there. The interesting this is that the two times I've asked an Embassy if we can enter on a tourist visa and start the green card process there, they respond with "you shouldn't", but never with "no." Does that mean there's a way to do this on a tourist visa? My wife has received two tourist visas in the past and has not overstayed, so that should be evidence of good faith, right?

I guess my question is, what is the quickest processing time visa that can be 'upgraded' to a green card? Also, can I do this from Thailand, or does it need to happen in Korea where we were married?

Thanks for any help, your site is amazing.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Your wife can't really get tourist visa as she has married you, American citizen.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X